SA Farm's journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old grand daughter that tries to skirt around every "No" with every reason she can come up with, including passive defiance. Sometimes open defiance, got to watch her like a hawk. She and her sister were here one weekend last year when chicks in the incubator started hatching out. It was a magical moment. So she got to learn first hand to "not touch". LOL

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Good for you! I’ve been the one to teach a few of my nieces and nephews that unlike other adults in their lives, when I say “no” or make a...promise...I will follow through 😇 I’m a big fan of children who learn manners and respect for others and their property!

@Bruce I’m afraid it could only be a verbal...expression of disappointment...as it was a fully grown adult :smack

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicks have moved out to the brooder shed, so just the goslings inside for the moment. Fortunately, my little gosling girl seems to be okay. She’s bouncing back like a boss. She’s alert and moving around a lot better today, so it doesn’t look like any lasting damage was done. I’m thinking she’ll be okay to go to her new home on Monday.
She’s so much smaller than her brother!
C732AD19-13EB-4BA5-9298-4D8FBE75635F.jpeg
Still no lamb. Foxy’s udder looks super full, but what do I know? She’s been playing peekaboo with her ligs for literal weeks now 😝
A1F14C2B-B496-4104-96EB-4223AC292C27.jpeg
My VERY broody Consort. She got another three eggs today and I’ll have the dubious honour of removing any future eggs from her clutch(es? Lol). She hurts even through two layers (sweater and jacket), so it’s going to be a fun month! She should be a really great mom 😋
7E5683B6-8058-44EE-AF12-DC3B2D4A9441.jpeg
Today’s take. Well, yesterday’s actually as it’s nearly 4am here teehee. A Cochin, EE, and 2 Wyandotte eggs. So pretty! I swear the one on the left looks pink.
CDD88CA1-8102-4B11-B423-54403E939085.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Good for you! I’ve been the one to teach a few of my nieces and nephews that unlike other adults in their lives, when I say “no” or make a...promise...I will follow through 😇 I’m a big fan of children who learn manners and respect for others and their property!

I took the baby chicks out and placed in a cardboard box with a light, set up for brooding for the little girls delight. I taught them to carefully hold the chicks, but poking at the incubator was forbidden. They got to watch chicks coming out of the shell and were fascinated by the process. I got to explain that we had to wait for them to dry off and perk up before taking the chicks out and placing them in the brooder. They were thrilled by the whole process and it was a great teaching weekend.