SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I picked up 6 2-week old Silver Appleyard ducklings this morning and my eggs of the same variety are due in a couple of week!
So exciting! :weee
Pictures will come once they’re settled in.
My DH is currently at a big poultry event, so I’m rather terrified he’ll bring home things we shouldn’t be getting right now, possibly ever.
I used to think that I was to blame for all our animal additions :gig
I have 6/8 ducklings hatched and I think one more pipped, but I’m not entirely sure. I’ll check again in a bit, then pull all the fully fluffed hatchlings if it’s safe.
I’d really like to get at least the first two out of there today. Again, I’ll add pics later. I might have other things to take pictures of...:hide:smack:he:lol:

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took me awhile as I had company over yesterday. DH brought home a couple pairs of chickens (standard OEG and GL Wyandotte) and a speckled Sussex hen duo.
The two roosters are freezer bound. I would’ve kept the GL, but he was being nasty to the hens and that’s just not allowed around here.
My new Appleyards:
645374A2-816F-4D8B-8C0D-F2D216D360D8.jpeg
Settling in with my mixed week-olds
B23C65F9-948F-4BCC-96E5-4AC422DB7917.jpeg
I ended up with 7/8 of my own duck babies this week and one of them looks disturbingly similar to an Appleyard!
134CCCD6-931C-47C3-B551-EB341DA034ED.jpeg
And one of the speckled Sussex hens.
39FC6373-0E0B-42E4-B7C0-A0020799FB06.jpeg
I didn’t get pics of the rest. The GL hen may be broody or something since she’s hiding in the nest box.
We’ll see how she goes. I did get an egg from one of them last night. Tempted to throw it in the bator to see what’s up :p
Next lockdown is coming up on Tuesday with a lot of potential babies. 12 Speckled Sussex, 2 EEs, and a bunch of my mutt ducks :jumpy

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took the Appleyards out for some outdoor sunshine today. I’m putting together an outdoor grow out tractor for them that I’m hoping they can move into it in another couple of weeks. They were only out for a few minutes today since it was pretty windy.
2084F3FC-12E1-4BA4-A527-8413FE18F5A4.jpeg
I did some wire sowing for the cover of one of my perma-pens once the duckies were put away. Now I just need DH’s muscles to move the house and his expertise to put a door on the thing and it’s ready for new occupants.
I’m loving the sunshine we’ve had. I really hope it keeps up! The ground is almost dry and I’d like it to stay that way for at least a few days before the spring rains begin :p

Do we think this little fluffle will have a crest? Daddy does, so it’s possible. Adorable either way!
DF1CD0F4-15EE-4DDF-BC40-6B6443678979.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
GLW hen moved inside to get some TLC. Unfortunately DH didn’t look very close at the pair of them when he picked them up and the poor things were rather underweight. In fairly good health otherwise, so that’s alright. She’s already coming along nicely.
Roosters were both culled as the GLW was picking on the hens and the OEG wasn’t suited to my breeding program - of sorts :p
The two specks and the Game hen will finish up their quarantine before moving in with Mojo and his lady who my Mom named Pizzazz.
DH is determined to raise up some sheep over the summer for freezer camp and you know you can’t just have a few for freezer camp when you can raise them :lol:
Meet our newest addition who will be getting some friends next weekend for said freezer camp. This little lady is mine and a keeper :D DH wanted to name her Wolf, so I decided she will be heretofore known as Woolfie :lol::love
1FB19647-AFE1-43BD-8027-10511C503E49.jpeg 15E98687-5DD9-4B97-97E5-C4BA6746DC76.jpeg
She is a 3 week old bottle baby, the smallest of a set of triplets.
I’ve never liked sheep, but you do what you gotta do when your DH has an obvious preference ;) I think she’s already growing on me :p

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woolfie is adorable. I love my sheep and don't know what I would do without them. What breed is she?
:hu Her dad was a Texel cross, but that’s all I know for sure. Once she’s a bit older, I’ll start a thread for her and ask what the experienced sheep experts on here think :)

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of sheep.
Thanks! :frow I’m super happy to have livestock again :D =D
I love my birds, but I was super attached to my goats and am still rather bummed that my DH didn’t like them.

My Dad had a pet sheep when I was a kid and I had a few bad experiences with her, so I think that’s where my dislike of all things sheep came into play.
Of course, with reading posts on here back when, I did come to the point where I could appreciate them without actually wanting one.
Now that I have one and am doing the research and getting firsthand experience, there are some definite differences, but not nearly enough to keep my bias alive and well :p
I’m curious to see how sheep math compares to goat math :lol: