SA Farm's journal

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @SA Farm,

Do you have a lot of black flies in your part of Canada? I am curious because I was watching a YouTube video of the GP Outdoors channel. He is somewhere in Ontario. He had to wear a netting over his head and upper body because the flies were so bad:

I hope you don't have to endure that!

Senile Texas Aggie

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @SA Farm,

Do you have a lot of black flies in your part of Canada? I am curious because I was watching a YouTube video of the GP Outdoors channel. He is somewhere in Ontario. He had to wear a netting over his head and upper body because the flies were so bad:

I hope you don't have to endure that!

Senile Texas Aggie

Fortunately I’m far enough south that, while we do still have them, they aren’t bad enough to wear netting. Mosquitoes on the other hand...:p I wouldn’t mind an outfit like that to keep them off me. I’m one of those people that the blood suckers love!
When DH and I first started our little farm, we were out building our first chicken coop. I was even less skilled at building than I am now, so I told him I was going to go inside as I was getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes and wasn’t able to be of much help.
He told me to stay b/c while I might not feel like I was being helpful, by my mere presence I was in fact keeping all the bugs off him which was extremely helpful as far as he was concerned :rolleyes::lol::smack

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's mostly about the amount of C0² any particular person gives off and many of the soaps and other cleaning products people use on themselves can mimic C0².
Another draw, especially for blood suckers is blood type. Skin secretes different odors for each blood type..indistinguishable to us but bugs can differentiate. Mosquitoes really go for Type O blood and are least prone to go for Type A.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Beautiful Gal makes the same complaint -- she gets eaten up by the buggers while they usually leave me alone. I think it is because both you and my Beautiful Gal are really sweet while I and your DH taste sour!

I’m not sure what it is that makes some people more tasty to mosquitoes than others. I like the theory about sweet personalities translating to attracting the bugs, but my mom is the sweetest person I know and they leave her alone. And we have the same blood type :hu
Also, my DH is sweeter than me and I get the impression you’re not bad yourself ;)

I’ve been keeping busy this week getting things cleaned up and organized for my farm sitter this weekend. Going down to Ohio for the George Straight concert on Saturday :celebrate
Got my birds all moved out of the house and cleaned the house up today since it’s all rainy out. Tomorrow’s supposed to be nice, so I’m planning to get the pens cleaned up so I won’t have to worry about them. I normally clean out on the weekends and I’d prefer not to have to do it all when we get back.
So excited! :woot

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's mostly about the amount of C0² any particular person gives off and many of the soaps and other cleaning products people use on themselves can mimic C0².
Another draw, especially for blood suckers is blood type. Skin secretes different odors for each blood type..indistinguishable to us but bugs can differentiate. Mosquitoes really go for Type O blood and are least prone to go for Type A.

That’s cool. Mom is O+ like me. DH is A something or other. (He doesn’t remember :rolleyes:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mosquitoes really go for Type O blood and are least prone to go for Type A.
YAY!! I'm A+ though I don't think that has kept the mosquitos from noticing me. Maybe I have to be out with some type O people so the nasties have a choice.

Going down to Ohio for the George Straight concert on Saturday :celebrate
I gather you don't live too far north in Canada if you can drive to Ohio for a concert. Still, no matter how close you are to the border, it is still quite a long distance! Have fun!!!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it’ll be a long trek, but it should be worth it. It’s our nine year anniversary this year, so that’s part of the reason we’re doing it. That and DH is a huge fan :D Not that I’m not. I just don’t enjoy the crowds and volume the way most people seem to. I prefer to listen to my music in the comfort of my home where I can keep it to a decibel level that won’t damage my hearing :p
I’m definitely old at heart :old

I have swallows nesting on the back porch light and I gave my turkeys their eggs back. Maybe they’ll set while I’m gone :fl
5A74AF17-6EFC-4D93-90AC-BF02C6078B20.jpeg FC0F49D9-4224-4694-B1B1-161153EC5097.jpeg
And a pretty flower just because :cool:
5500465B-DF4D-4AB9-820F-7417F2400899.jpeg

Latest posts