Sale barn calf with shallow/increased respirations - ADVICE

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We call them "chronic lungers". They can live longer than 2-3 weeks. Had one that lived a year. He never grew much, just ate and irritated me. He developed a huge chest, and wheezed and rasped all the time. Might have weighed 5-600 lbs when he died.

I would suggest that you get a bottle of Excede or Draxxin. They are the drugs of choice for pneumonia. Draxxin is a wonder drug in my opinion, and I've used them all. Beware of Micotil. It is fatal to humans, and will kill you with just a tiny needle stick. There is no antidote.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I again second Draxin.

Sheepman supply has Levamisole in stock. http://www.sheepman.com/ They are a small company w/ great service. Just make sure your address exactly matched for billing because they are super careful about fraud stuff and won't process the credit card until they have an exact match.

raykour

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am going to take him back to the sale tomorrow. He has not improved, and not gotten worse. To knock him with another antibiotic will take his belly out. If the Nuflor and Excede did not help, I doubt the Draxxin will. What has improved is his demeanor and appetite, but that could be entirely environmental, I have no idea if he came from a dirt pen or what.

I am sure a Mexican will buy him and won't mind butchering him. I will state that he can't be butchered for 3 weeks.

Thanks Suburban for the link with the dewormer, because that is something I think I might like to have on hand.

Redtailgal...used to use Micotil ALOT, like 10-12 years ago. It was a great drug, but since there are so many other drugs now that do that much or better, it would be best to just get rid of it I agree.

Thanks all for all the input and help. I think I have learned my lesson not to buy anything unless I see it with my own eyes first despite the temptation! If I had seen him in the pen, I probably would have noticed the heavy breathing. Then again, if I hadn't seen him cough, I might have attributed it to the heat. Who knows. Lesson learned though.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use mine for goats and one package makes 1 gal of wormer. I divide out 1/4 of the package to make a quart and freeze the reset and then once mixed it is good for 90days.