Samssimonsays: Blazing Acres journal

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we got hit with yet another bad storm last night. This one also missed us but not by much....

Here are some photos I screen shot from a video I was taking of driving into the storm... I was not sure what I was getting into as the radio was warning to seek shelter... Thankfully It veered the opposite direction from me ever so slightly so I only had to drive the last 10 miles in the bad storm. Straight Line winds of 70+ MPH and a lot of damage was left in it's wake. Areas in "The cities" (what we call Minneapolis, St. paul and other surrounding areas down there) flooded and many people in Minnesota were and still are without power.
View attachment 19546

And here are photos that I was sent of some of the damage from the storm...
View attachment 19547

This is three big storms in three weeks... We don't get this weather here often... Maybe once every year if not every 3 years. It is definitely out of the norm.
Wow, that's not good!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
We have been having nothing but storms lately here. Every week we have been hit with big ones and yesterday was no exception... We had a huge storm system go through with many thunderstorms and constant rain. They started at 5am and continued until around 1am this morning We are washed out, we have upwards of 6-8 inches in our yard. 4-5 in the goat pen. We lost power yesterday around 2 pm, of which time I was home very ill, and still had not regained it by this morning when I left. Thank goodness for a shower at my place of work.
20160712_053020.jpg

The girls are in the barn, the baby boys are in the girls pen due to it being higher ground and they are still flooded. Thankfully their shelter is still dry as it was on a slight slope compared to the rest.
20160712_053023.jpg

The cause of no power....
20160712_054411.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry Sam :( :hugs Hope the weather dries up for you and they get the power back on. Sucks for you, but has to be worse for the animals. Be safe!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know you're not feeling well friend. Glad you were able to shower at work. :hugs

Hope you feel better soon, and they get the power back on before you go home.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Thank you guys. @Latestarter the goats are not happy as you can imagine since they melt if they get wet and all :rolleyes: @Ferguson K thank you very much. THe shower was amazing. One of the best ones I have had in a while. I am still not 100% but I am up and moving.

Looks like more storms tomorrow and then rain Until Saturday. Then storms for Sunday, Monday and clearing up for the rest of the 15 day forecast. :barnie I will be attempting to put together a stall for the boys in the barn as well tonight to make sure they are dry. If we get as much rain as they are saying then they will be fully underwater.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We'll take your rain!

I hear you on the flooding. We got so much rain in the late winter/early spring that every pen was just churned up mud. I ended up putting pallets down in the milkers' pen so they could get to the gate without wading through the mud. At least their shelter was on higher ground.