Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
A portrait I did a couple of years ago.
78077AB9-15BD-4BBB-8F7A-2C9C18BAD902.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey was with her momma, wrapped in love, peaceful, plus the excitement of a snake. Seems like a fitting exit for your best friend. Iā€™m so sorry that she had to go, you gave her the best life possible.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. My husband reminded me of the time Bailey rescued one of our Anatolians. Rosie had a bad hip and got herself stuck in the black gumbo of our pond. Bailey barked til we noticed and a good thing because Rosie in spite of being in a bit of water was starting a good heat stroke. @Baymule. Thank you. I went to school, was a commercial artist and then gave it up. When I retired from throwing freight the last case was a bunch of art supplies. I took it as a sign.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey was one of those ā€œbroke the mold when God made herā€ kind of dogs. We all have dogs, have had dogs, will have more dogs. But there are those once in a lifetime dogs that live in your heart forever.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful portrait of her and a wonderful tribute. I am sorry you had to lose her, but it sounds like it was the right time for her to go. Having the snake incident helped to bring a little levity to a sad situation... something that you will always look back on with a little laugh mixed in with the sad.
How is the new dog working out?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful portrait of her and a wonderful tribute. I am sorry you had to lose her, but it sounds like it was the right time for her to go. Having the snake incident helped to bring a little levity to a sad situation... something that you will always look back on with a little laugh mixed in with the sad.
How is the new dog working out?
The new dog has lots of issues. She was part of a puppy mill situation and not properly socialized with people, dogs or livestock. She escaped periodically and probably killed to feed herself. But she is intelligent and has a strong desire to please. I think thereā€™s hope for her as a guardian and certainly as a pet dog. Warning: rehabilitation doesnā€™t always work. Donā€™t try this at home unless you are prepared for losses and disappointment. Imma idiot who didnā€™t pass on a problem dog. šŸ˜œ
Thank you for the compliments. My head seems to hold one thing at a time today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first LGD, Paris, was a free throw away chicken killer. I don't know what they did to that dog, but she had psychotic problems all her life. It took 2 years to turn her from a chicken hater to a chicken guard. Then we moved, got sheep, and she decided sheep were dangerous monsters that she needed to attack to protect me. It took one batch of weaned lambs in a small pen in HER yard for her to learn how to protect sheep. That's the short version, but you get it.

Put her down last October at 13 years old. Darn good dog, taught me more than I ever taught her. So yes, there is hope for a lost cause problem dog. Love, patience, patience, more patience, love........did I mention patience? :lol:

It anybody can save this dog and turn her into a true guardian, that will be you.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first LGD, Paris, was a free throw away chicken killer. I don't know what they did to that dog, but she had psychotic problems all her life. It took 2 years to turn her from a chicken hater to a chicken guard. Then we moved, got sheep, and she decided sheep were dangerous monsters that she needed to attack to protect me. It took one batch of weaned lambs in a small pen in HER yard for her to learn how to protect sheep. That's the short version, but you get it.

Put her down last October at 13 years old. Darn good dog, taught me more than I ever taught her. So yes, there is hope for a lost cause problem dog. Love, patience, patience, more patience, love........did I mention patience? :lol:

It anybody can save this dog and turn her into a true guardian, that will be you.
Thank you. She is going through the terrible twos. Chewing on everything, wonā€™t listen or mind. But an affectionate dog and smart. Sadly sheā€™s cost me two nice lambs but thatā€™s part of rescues. I remember your posts about Paris, the highs and lows. You gave her a chance to work, which I think LGDs need especially Pocket Pyrs. I purchased my first LGDs and didnā€™t have many issues. We had rotties and showed them in obedience. Talk about canine culture shock. ā€œSit.ā€ ā€œWhat?ā€ ā€œSit!ā€ Lgd walks to shade and lays down. They truly do teach us a lot. If I hear a certain bark Iā€™m outside immediately before I know it.

Last edited: