SCORE! Sheep Handling Equipment

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
HIPSHOT : I really like those pigtails and the twister. I have used wire (haven't we all) but you have to cut t, twist it, and the sharp ends have to be bent over - those pigtails have that round loop which will be safer. Love it. I think I will try ordering some just to have them on hand, Zip ties eventually get brittle in the sun and can break so for semi permanent installation these would be much better.

BAYMULE: I am so jealous of your great find! :D I have been wanting to get some gates like that but have to figure out where to out a semi permanent installation. DS1 is finally on board and talking about building a chute for when we want to separate and vaccinate. So much easier than catching them in the larger pens one by one. The proper equipment really makes a difference in being able to handle livestock safely and easily. At our ages we need to work smarter instead of relying on strength and agility like we did when we were younger. :old

Three adult sheep easily fit in one section and I can get in to hold them steady while they get a shot or drench from the person outside the chute. By working in with them it lets me use my position to keep them from backing out or lets me use my lower body to push them forward in the rare case they get stubborn.

You want the chute to be full. Just the fact that they can't move either way keeps them calm and lets you do whatever you need to do. We have too many to handle one at a time and being able to work on several at a time makes the sheep accept whatever you are doing to them. Plus if there is a single in the chute they panic more because they are alone even if they trust you they are stressed. We can put up to six lambs in a section at a time.

So right. When they are crowded tight they cannot get room to run around and that keeps them calmer so you can do what needs to be done.

BAYMULE :highfive: MASTER OF THE DEAL!

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations. And enjoy. This afternoon I caught 4 sheep with a crook (leg crook). I’m in my sixties. The last ewe I walked up to on the brilliantly sunny and humid afternoon- I asked her if she would consider accepting medication without a struggle as it was warm and I had mixed it with a liberal amount of molasses. “Naaahhhahh.” Needless to say...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our White Dorpers are sort of tame. Several ewes including 2 of the rams will walk right up to DS1, DH, and myself. EXCEPT when we are holding a halter or a crook. Then they avoid us and are very clever about not getting within arm or crook distance. Otherwise they are DH's best buddies! Now I hold the halter and hide behind the tractor or other large object while he walks up to them and catches them, then I have to run over to halter them quickly. If they start running around though, we have lost our window of opportunity and have to bring out the big guns - running them into a small holding pen and using the crook. Not always easy to do is they are on the large pasture. This is when a herding dog would come in handy. Especially when the LGDs decide to "help". :barnie

I really wish we had a chute - DS1 says he will build one since we are all tired of trying to catch flying sheep. I will start saving for the gates. Maybe we can find another buy like Baymule's while we are in Texas. Or visiting Marv's cousins in Kansas or Colorado. Or even northern California. Actually, there is a sheep breeder who is going out of business and putting their equipment in an online auction in September. I was hoping to get a scale so maybe I can pick up some chute gates as well. :fl

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
BAYMULE: HAVE YOU USED IT YET? I AM BREATHLESSLY WAITING FOR HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU! I need a play by play description - preferably with pix - so I can continue to eat my heart out with jealousy over your set up! Or live vicariously through your successes! LOL

P.S. I will try to remember to bring yo and Devonviolet some jelly or jam.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We ran the lambs through on Friday and wormed them. I took a fecal on Scottie and Dit—Dot. Today we ran the ewes through the chute and I took fecals on all of them. We are liking this chute!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have several ewes that are matted up with unshed wool. They look awful. So today I took a pair of scissors to three of them. They look somewhat like a rabid zebra with broken teeth ate their wool off. To me they look a LOT better, :yesss: but still leave a lot to be desired. @Ridgetop you think maybe you could pack some proper shears and bring them with you for a Teach-Baymule-How-To-Shear-A-Sheep-Party?? I feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame after being bent over those poor pathetic looking mangled sheep, snip-snipping a few hairs at a time, afraid to really whack on them for fear I would cut skin. The feeling has not come back in my thumb yet, from the pressure bearing down on the scissors handle to cut through those wads of wool. My back is going to strangle me in my sleep for the terrible things I did to it today. I THOUGHT THESE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HAIR SHEEP!!

We wormed sheep and I did my It-Sucks-Scissor-Shearing on my poor girls. I felt something warm on my leg...….it ran down my leg and into my shoe. :\ Thanks. I didn't really need that. My husband leaned over the chute, holding the wads of wool back out of my way. Both of us got pooped on, dirty, sweaty and filthy. We were supremely happy with the chute.

I donned a latex glove and gave each ewe a rear ending experience. Diving for Doo-Doo! :lol: I stripped it off inside out, trapping the brown doo-doo pearls inside. I told BJ the sheep's name and he wrote it on the glove. That really thrilled him.:D =D I tried to get a fecal on Ringo. Fail. He clamped his butt hole down and there were no poo-balls to be found. I did not worm him, I wanted a fecal first. I guess I will follow him around with, I dunno, paper towels? a bucket? keep latex gloves in my pocket waiting for opportunity? :gigAny other time he'd be pooping all over the place.

When we went to Tennessee to get Ringo, Teresa showed me how to run fecal tests. I sent her long texts today! I took notes on the process when I was there, but I need to know a few things and she was more than happy to help. THANK YOU TERESA! My ewes say :tongue "Why did you teach Mom to do these disgusting things to us?" :lol:

I did 4 slides, counting worm eggs. Miranda and Ewenique, my favorite ewes passed with flying colors, very low counts. Scottie, Miranda's7 month old lamb had a low count also. The other lamb, had a high egg count. Teresa told me what to do, then repeat in a week or so. The other gloves are double bagged in the refrigerator. I need some Aleve to make my back stop screaming, then I'll do the rest.

I love my new sheep equipment!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miranda is slick all over, but had dreadlocks on her back. That is Eve, her daughter next to her and Moon Pie is behind me.
0CB02FC0-C905-496E-8FEF-55C6632C6BA7.jpeg

Eve getting that matt cut off. She was less than thrilled.
7DAE7AC2-9870-4DE5-93AB-A1BA7ED4246E.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moon Pie. I think we could take that matt, throw it on the porch and wipe our feet on it!

D74C9E17-C552-48E9-929A-B0FF474119B7.jpeg

I muddled my way through my first fecal testing, much thanks to Teresa for teaching me and being my back up today. I have always wormed sheep several times a year, giving Garlic Barrier monthly. But the nagging thought of, "Is this the best I can do? stayed on my mind. Now, I KNOW and I can treat the ones that need treatment. Now I'll be better able to care for my flock. I'll be able to cull out the ones that keep a high worm load. Thank you Teresa!

D9086608-B259-422B-BE93-1231B5BAC646.jpeg

Last edited: