SCREEECH !!! BANG !!!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My wife was late comming home for about 2 hours yesterday as both lanes of traffic was at full stop backed up for about 2 miles . When she finally came home, she said there was no evidence of as to why the traffic was so stalled. This mornings city paper stated that a "cow " was killed on the highway. Seems that on a 2 lane highway in rural Clark County, Wa. a bovine was hit and killed by a compact type of pickup truck which was totaled. Driver was slightly injured, but refused an ambulance ride to the hospital. The bovine had no ear tags and no-one new where this bovine came from. There are several small herds in the area. The paper didn't provide any information if it was a indeed a cow, calf, or steer, or bull, color, size, NADA other than "cow". The paper did not mention what happened to the carcass. I guess everyone in that area will have to go out and ride their fence line and do a head count without knowing for what to look for.

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If the law is the same as it is here in Ms where the rancher is responsible for damages to the cow causes, the owner may never come forward, though the owner will at least look for and know they are missing a cow.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't meant to hijack the thread so early :)P ) but something sorta similar happened a few weeks ago, except that traffic wasn't backed up/stopped for two miles and it involved a full-grown big bovine-sized moose that got nailed in the wee hours of the morning--around 7:00 am. The moose was a big sucker, on its side it would've went up two thirds the height of my car, so I'm guesstimating it was around 1200 lbs, no idea of it was a bull or cow. Anyway, it was on the road, hide all torn to bits and bits of moose all over the road, and the vehicle that hit it--looked to be an SUV of some sort--landed in the ditch on the opposite side that the moose was laying dead on. Two cattle liners were stopped in front of the moose as well as a couple other semis behind, and about five vehicles--mainly trucks--were pulled off to the side of the road, the side closes to the lane that I was travelling. At first I though the cattle liner was the one that hit the moose, but I seen no blood and guts on the grill or the cow-catcher on the front. Seen the car in the ditch afterward, though, and knew that was the one that was hit. It must've happened maybe five minutes before I arrived on scene, because everything was fresh and when I continued on my way to work the ambulance was just coming maybe three, five minutes out of town to get to the scene, but at least there were a number of people out willing to help get the moose off the road, clean bits of moose that landed on the pavement, and help out the driver that hit the beast. By the time I had to drive home from work, the road looked as if nothing happened.

The area where the driver hit the moose, though, is a prime moose-hitting zone because it's right near the river and the bush along the river and around the coupe of homes that sit there. No cattle along that area as it's all field and bush, but as far as deer, coyotes, foxes and moose are concerned...yep. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
D1 said:
If the law is the same as it is here in Ms where the rancher is responsible for damages to the cow causes, the owner may never come forward, though the owner will at least look for and know they are missing a cow.
Yup. A couple years ago, a young man hit a black bull at around 2 am, about 7 miles from my house. The young man was riding a motorcycle and was killed in the accident. The bull "fled the scene" (thats what the newspaper report read).

That bull was seen repeatedly for about 5 days, roaming loose while officials and the community waited for someone to claim him. He was never claimed and was eventually shot and hauled away to be incinerated.

The owner *HAD* to realize that his bull was out.....and I am sure that the neighboring farms would have recognized the bull, but no one spoke up.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many western states have a "open range" law, which means that a motorist hitting a cow or cattle is responsible to pay damages TO THE RANCHER/FARMER. South Dakota is one of these states, and I think that North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and possibly several others fall into the same catetory.