1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Selenium and Vit E Gel for llamas

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Llamas and Alpacas' started by TGreenhut, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sep 8, 2012
    TGreenhut

TGreenhut Loving the herd life

Has anyone used a Selenium and Vit E Gel for llamas, rather than BoSe. I can't get BoSe so I have always given Selenium and Vit E Gel to my goats. I find that it does work as long as you follow the directions and give it monthly. But what I'm asking is: Do you think it'd be ok to give the same paste (specifically Kaeco Selenium and Vitamin E Gel for Goats) to my llama as a supplement?

2. Sep 8, 2012
    Goatherd

Goatherd Overrun with beasties

I've not used the gel specifically, so can't give first hand information, but I would think that if you get the llama minerals specifically, you probably wouldn't need the gel.
    I can't imagine the using the gel on the llama being a problem if you do choose to use it.

3. Sep 8, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

It probably would be fine. I have always just used BoSe so I have no first hand experience with it.

4. Sep 8, 2012
    TGreenhut

Thanks for the help. In case your wondering why I have so many questions suddenly, I just got a new llama and I'm making sure she is up to health standards :)

5. Sep 8, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

I take it a guard llama?

6. Sep 8, 2012
    TGreenhut

Yep :). I sold my two males because they were unfriendly (actually mean!) and didn't guard. This time I bought a trained female guard llama that is as sweet as can be! She might be pregnant and I know that they don't guard when they have a cria to care for, but my goats are locked in the barn at night and I also have guard emus so guarding isn't a major concern.