Selenium-E Gel instead of Bo-Se?

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
PBS livestock carries a selenium E gel. A 5ml dose gives 3mg of Se, just as 3cc of Bo-Se would. Does oral gel delivery have any less effectiveness than an injection of Bo-Se would?

I'd much rather not have to get it Rx or have to deal with an injection just yet - I know I'll need to learn to do it, but I'm not quite there yet.

Any thoughts?

I don't think my does have EVER had selenium given - occasional loose mineral given and a mineral block available. Now that I have them they have been getting the max dose of loose mineral added to their feed - but in a selenium defficient area that's not likely enough, right? The mineral is MannaPro, 1/2oz per day, selenium is 12ppm - what ever that means.

I've read it recommended that Bo-Se or the gel be given at 5 weeks prior to kidding and again at 3 weeks prior to kidding - is this the general recommendation?

Thanks!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use BoSe... and use it often on anything I think needs an extra boost including, gestating does, 6 weeks prior to kidding, and new kids. I dose at the rate of 2.5cc/100# for adults and newborns get 1/2cc. IMO, I want the full effect and anything less than BoSe May not deliver it...again JMO...Everyone does things differently, I am sure, based on the selenium availibility in their specific area.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Selenium E gel is better than nothing if that's all you have, but not as effective as the RX BoSe injected.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
The mineral is MannaPro, 1/2oz per day, selenium is 12ppm - what ever that means.
To answer your quandry on what this means - it's parts per million (ppm). If there are a million "parts" to the mix then 12 of them are selenium.

As to the rest of your post BoSe is really the best. But we all have to do what is right for our individual farms.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks guys - general consensus is obviously Bo-Se then. Injection scares the crap out of me - I know I'll get there eventually - just freaks me out a bit.

I do understand what 12ppm means - what I don't understand, though, is what that means in the grand scheme of things as far as selenium goes. If goats were supplemented every day with selenium at that count (which mine have not been) would that be sufficient selenium? :idunno And what about Sweetlix Meatmaker? Pkg reads 50ppm - would that be enough every day or would that actually end up being too much? If most places are selenium deficient, shouldn't the goat minerals be formulated to add extra selenium instead of having to supplement it in addition to a supplement? And why do we have to get an Rx just to get our goats to a normal level? I understand there's a narrow margin of safety and for that reason it's Rx by vet - but if almost ALL goats are defficient - seems crazy to need a script.

So now I guess I'm ranting - sorry.

Just as with doctors for my family, I appreciate that vets are there when they're needed - I just don't like to HAVE to use them when they aren't needed. And it bugs me that I need them to maintain normal - not just when I can't maintain normal on my own - that is, for sickness or injury.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've done a lot of research into this, and I have decided for myself that I want to provide my goats with selenium yeast (in particular Diamond V's) but I am having difficulty getting any. I did a lot of research and decided that I wanted to avoid Bo-Se as much a possible and use it or an inorganic source only if I had to.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Unfortunately every area is deficient but to what degree depends on the area. Sooo...what's the amount needed for your area? You'll be best to check with your vet or other local breeders to get that answer.

I completely agree that we should be able to have access to the things needed to maintain normal without an rx...maybe someday...

And I'm completely with you on injections. They scare me every time I give them. I guess because I know from my standpoint that they hurt so they must hurt my goats too, right? I have a young very small goat on PenG injections right now and I am so nervous giving him his injections. But he doesn't seem to mind a bit. Guess he's tougher than me ;)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It really depends on how selenium deficient your area is. It can even be different on your farm and someone else's down the street from you. I use Sweetlix Meatmaker and I have to copper bolus my goats and give BoSe at least once a year. And I can see a difference in the goats when I do this.

You could certainly experiment with different types of selenium and see what happens. Nothing wrong with that and I'm sure lots of people would be interested in your results. Any less shots that I have to do is great with me. But I want healthy kids and don't have the time to really try experimenting with stuff let alone can afford losses. So I just give the BoSe shots.

After you have been doing shots for a while, it doesn't seem like a big deal. For me it is easier to give a shot than to try and get goats to eat the right amount of something. But I have been giving animals shots for over 13 years.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Perhaps I will try the gel. For two reasons:

1) they've never had supplemental selenium beyond the above mentioned occasional loose mineral and mineral block (though they do get mineral daily now). They are 3.5 and 2.5 years old and seem to be in good health thus far - BUT - I know mineral issues can be cumulative. The local feed stores all say our area is selenium deficient. Both have kidded before and babies seemed to be in good health - though the dairy sold them off quickly (likely for meat) so long term health of recent babies is unknown. (side note: these does were born at the dairy as well, so at least SOME babies have turned out ok). All this to say, they've done fine without Bo-Se up until now, the gel would be more than what they're getting now (or have ever gotten previously), so perhaps I can afford to experiment a little.

2) I dont WANT to have to give an injection.

Thank you. Sometimes I just need a sounding board in order to come to a conclusion.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
I've done a lot of research into this, and I have decided for myself that I want to provide my goats with selenium yeast (in particular Diamond V's) but I am having difficulty getting any. I did a lot of research and decided that I wanted to avoid Bo-Se as much a possible and use it or an inorganic source only if I had to.
I've just begun using Diamond V's yeast - but I'm assuming it's not the same stuff you're talking about. I have the Diamond V from Hoegger's. It is a yeast - but selenium yeast? I'll have to look into it further.