Thanks, everyone. for the teasing. No offense taken -- in fact, I chuckled at the posts. Yesterday I went and got 5 more boards, even though I think 3 is all I need. Once it stops raining I will finish the job and then test the bridge out to see if it can handle the weight of my tractor, mower, and a grapple caring 5 railroad cross ties. (For my next bridge I am planning on building it with only railroad cross ties, and I will need to cross the first bridge to reach the area for the second bridge.)
Nice to know that not only have you filled out your bridge deficit but gone above and beyond with additional boards. I'm sure they'll find use elsewhere at some point even if they aren't needed for this bridge.
When we bought this place 5 years ago, I was coming up here working on the house, getting it ready to move into. I would get cross eyed from painting or laying floors, and go take a walk with a trash bag. This place had so much garbage thrown out on it that I filled the car or truck every trip back home (where we had trash service LOL). I mentioned that I was a brick shy of a full load on TEG and when I got home after several days of being up here working, I had a package! It was from Majorcatfish on TEG...…..inside the package was a brick! I laughed until I cried. I was utterly exhausted, worn down from running back and forth to our new place and trying to keep up with both homes. I sure needed that laugh. I still have that brick.
I thought I'd provide an update on the bridge I was building. It turned out that 3 boards exactly fit the remaining area of the bridge. Once I finished it, I decided to test to see if it would hold up to the tractor with having 4 RR cross ties in the grapple. Here is the result of my test:
As you can see, the first 2x6 broke in two on both sides of the bridge. I didn't bother to drive up on the bridge any more, since they would have busted as well. So I decided to take 8 RR cross ties down to where I was planning to put the bridge above. I got them all placed but I need to fasten them together to be more sturdy. I forgot to get pictures but I will try to remember once I get the cross ties fastened together.
Here are pictures of the two areas I am building bridges. The first picture shows where I had partly dug out the ditch, and it is where I placed the cross ties. The rectangular object across the ditch is the old bridge that was there. The second picture is of a swampy area before I dug a ditch and where I plan to build another bridge.