Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,
I decided to use RR cross ties for the first bridge over a ditch where I was intending using the 2x6x8 bridge I built. I positioned the cross ties length wise over the ditch and then fastened them together with metal bands and lag bolts. Here is the final result of the assembly, but before I piled up dirt to serve as ramps on either side, which I did today.
20200125_121704_bridge_over_ditch.jpg

I still have the more southern bridge (or culvert) to build. In case you folks are wondering where all of this is happening, here is a picture from the tax assessor's web site where the two bridges are located:
20200126_153500_south_lot.jpg

Senile Texas Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I tied all of the cross ties together using steel bans across the top, then all cross ties would have to move if one of them moved. Of course, the steel bands could possibly bend, but for the time being I plan to leave everything as is until I start having problems.

Yesterday I took the day off as my Beautiful Gal had an eye doctor appointment. I didn't see much point in getting dirty only to have to get cleaned up shortly after I started. Today has a 100% chance of rain so I'll be taking the day off as well.

We have been hearing the frogs along the creek ever since the first week in January, usually at night but sometimes in the morning if it is warm that morning. I don't ever recall the frogs starting this early before. Is anyone else hearing the frogs already?

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
No! I Guess I'll have to import some but they might be considered an invasive species, I'll have to check ;)

There is a farm pond behind the barn, I had to dig it out in Aug/Sept 2018 (which is when I bought the tractor) during the drought when it went dry. We have lots of spring peepers, bullfrogs and tree frogs spring, summer and fall. At the moment it is frozen over. PRESUMABLY not frozen to the bottom since it is deeper now. The deeper part should be below frost level. But ... we always had frogs every spring, I have to ASSUME it didn't freeze to the bottom even when it was shallower, not sure how that works since our frost level is about 4'. And if the pond was that deep I think it was just barely.