Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I knew what they were. I just call them bushes or brush. I see them growing all around the edges of the pastures next to the tree lines. I will treat them with the Remedy/diesel mix you mentioned in the thread "Making a pasture ... and keeping it managed" (https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/making-a-pasture-and-keeping-it-managed.38164/). We'll see what happens.

Well, I watched all of the pertinent Youtube videos of "Tractor Tech" and am almost finished with "Messick's Farm and Equipment". Then I will go back to the Kubota web site to see if it makes more sense...

Senile Texas Aggie

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I knew what they were. I just call them bushes or brush. I see them growing all around the edges of the pastures next to the tree lines. I will treat them with the Remedy/diesel mix you mentioned in the thread "Making a pasture ... and keeping it managed"
Find out what it is 1st, before using the diesel/Remedy mix. Do the leaves on the tree that we can see the trunk of look the same as the little plants?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about a close up picture?
If the leaves are variegated, then it's probably an Ash. If the flat surface of the leaves are smooth, then more likely to be a locust of some kind. The tree trunk in the picture tho, doesn't look ribbed enough to be a black locust of that age tree and not smooth enough to be a honey locust........A black locust develops a really rough looking and thick bark.
Could be little walnut trees too.

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will wish my poison ivy immunity on you I am originally from Plano. So we were nearly neighbors.With 160+ acres of Arkansasas turf you will probably need some protection from poison Ivy. I really wish you had my skin that doesn't care.

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I took a picture of one of the bushes at the gate. What do you folks think it is?
20180720_111934_shrub_near_gate.jpg

I noticed that these same bushes are sprouting up in the pastures. So I need to find out what they are and get them treated.

I called a tractor rental place a few days ago. The nearest one was 70 miles away. I asked them what would it cost to rent a tractor and shredder for a week if I picked it up and returned it. They quoted $1275. Ouch! That would be a little down payment on a new tractor. They didn't have one available till next week, so I would have a little time to think about it.

This morning I contacted one of our neighbors, as we seemed to recall that he did pasture mowing as a side business. He did. He came to our house and I took him around on the Gator and showing him just what he would be battling. While we rode around, I told him how I had been looking for a tractor to shred the pastures and do the other chores, but I didn't want to rush into things. After we finished, he said that he would contact me later with an estimate for the mowing/clearing. Well, later he called and asked if I would like to buy a tractor. He said he had been thinking about selling his, as it was too big for his 9 acres. He has a 2004 New Hollard TC48DA open station with a canopywith 355 hours on it. He has a Rhino SE6 shredder, a box drag that he has never used, a hay spike (that I may never use), fork lifts and loader with bucket (both quick attach), all for $20,000. I told him I would sleep on it but I think it sounds like a good deal. What do you folks think?

BTW, the truck thermometer had 114F, the thermometer on the porch has 112. I think I did not escape the Texas heat. :somad

Senile Texas Aggie

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I took a picture of one of the bushes at the gate. What do you folks think it is?View attachment 50444

I noticed that these same bushes are sprouting up in the pastures. So I need to find out what they are and get them treated.

I called a tractor rental place a few days ago. The nearest one was 70 miles away. I asked them what would it cost to rent a tractor and shredder for a week if I picked it up and returned it. They quoted $1275. Ouch! That would be a little down payment on a new tractor. They didn't have one available till next week, so I would have a little time to think about it.

This morning I contacted one of our neighbors, as we seemed to recall that he did pasture mowing as a side business. He did. He came to our house and I took him around on the Gator and showing him just what he would be battling. While we rode around, I told him how I had been looking for a tractor to shred the pastures and do the other chores, but I didn't want to rush into things. After we finished, he said that he would contact me later with an estimate for the mowing/clearing. Well, later he called and asked if I would like to buy a tractor. He said he had been thinking about selling his, as it was too big for his 9 acres. He has a 2004 New Hollard TC48DA open station with a canopywith 355 hours on it. He has a Rhino SE6 shredder, a box drag that he has never used, a hay spike (that I may never use), fork lifts and loader with bucket (both quick attach), all for $20,000. I told him I would sleep on it but I think it sounds like a good deal. What do you folks think?

BTW, the truck thermometer had 114F, the thermometer on the porch has 112. I think I did not escape the Texas heat. :somad

Senile Texas Aggie
I can only say it doesn't look like Jimson weed. So that is a plus. We have that stuff all over the place down here in coastal Texas. Bad juju for animals. As crazy as this sounds it reminds me of a peach tree.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rhino SE6 shredder

I have had that same mower. It's a tough one for sure. Took everything I threw at it and everything my b-i-l has so far.

Is the New Holland 2 or 4wd?
For just the tractor and that many hours, it appears to be above average price. With the implements included, it's a little better price IF it has had the maintenance done on it. The big plus is the low hours (if the hourmeter is accurate and still working) 355 hrs is equivalent to being used for 44 days at 8 hrs each day. That isn't much use.
https://www.tractorbluebook.com/Tractor-Blue-Book/New-Holland-Ford/TC48DA-4WD

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/40-99-hp/2006/new-holland/tc48da/19523161

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/40-99-hp/2006/new-holland/tc48da/19534383

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/40-99-hp/2006/new-holland/tc48da/19552997

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-buying-pricing/165221-new-holland-2004-tc-48-a.html

Latest posts