Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunno Bottom line, you don't want/need it in your pasture, so eradication methods are mandatory... You can shred it for the time being, then spray for unwanted growth down the line as you work to improve the pasture overall. :)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe this closeup of a leaf from a smaller shrub in the field (that resembles the shrub at the gate) will help better.

View attachment 50486

Senile Texas Aggie

Not sure what that is, but it looks shorter than the ones hanging off the plant in the other picture you posted.

I rode around on the 4wheeler this afternoon and took some pics of trees and leaves that I know for sure what are. This may take more than one reply as I took quite a few pictures.

Mature pignut hickory: (the raised bumps on the leaves are from some kind of sucking insect)
DSC00209.JPG

Daughter from nuts dropped from the same tree..there were lots of this size but I sprayed most several weeks ago:
DSC00212.JPG

Trunk of the mature tree:
DSC00211.JPG

Juvenile Burkett pecan...more or less, a native Texas pecan tree, that also grows all over the South:
DSC00213.JPG

The parent of the juvenile that is pictured above:
DSC00214.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leaves and nuts (far center right) of the tree last pictured in previous reply:
DSC00215.JPG

Closeup of the pecan stem & leaves:
DSC00216.JPG

I had to go to my sister's place next door to get these...got rid of all mine several years ago with one spraying..Baymule's favorite..young Honey locust:
DSC00224.JPG

A mature and flowering honey locust, and probably the source of all the small ones:
DSC00226.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Part of the grove of honey locust that have sprung up from suckers around the larger one:
DSC00230.JPG

Why honey locust is despised and why I killed with malice and without reserve, every one on my property:
DSC00225.JPG

A real Chinaberry growing on the ROW next to National Forest, (Melia azedarach) not to be confused with Chinese Tallow, not that the Chinaberry is any less invasive than it's near name:
DSC00228.JPG

A Chinaberry I pushed down last year with the tractor and shoved it about 50' up the ROW and left the roots intact. It has re-rooted and is growing just fine.......horizontally:
DSC00229.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple of small Chinese Tallow trees along a waterway, that I hacked with a hatchet a couple of weeks ago and squirted a couple oz of Remedy/Diesel into the cuts. It wasn't the best time to do it, very hot and had been a couple weeks since rain, so the trees probably weren't moving much thru the vascular system, but I was down there anyway killing greenbrier
(All the illustrations of a frill of 'hack and squirt' process show nice neat straight cuts, all the same size and length. The real world is quite different. I did not tho, intentionally make cuts one above the other...I'm old and the hatchet gets heavy)
The cuts:
DSC00218.JPG

DSC00217.JPG

DSC00218.JPG

DSC00219.JPG

results:
DSC00220.JPG

A small cedar I sprayed the same day with Remedy/Sendero/water mix..I'm not sure this is going to kill the roots but since I had some Sendero left I thought I would try it.:
DSC00221.JPG

A product called Tordon22 works just as well as Remedy to kill woody invasives and it won't kill grass either, but you will need an applicator's lic to buy it in any volume un-mixed but you can buy it as Tordon RTU (ready to use) by the qts, and they'll sell you as many qts as your wallet can handle. go figure. (I killed a LOT of big Tallow trees with Tordon but I won't use it anywhere close to water.)

And just because......At the tree line behind the cattle is where the honey locust are. Just a barb wire fence to stop them thorny plants...and a bit of experience how to handle them. They don't get to come on my side of the fence...ever.
DSC00233.JPG

Taken 30 minutes earlier before all the cows moved close to the yard and from 90deg off where the other pic was taken:
DSC00231.JPG

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All,

I have a few more pictures of the mystery shrub that is growing near the gate.

First, the leaves and trunk of a tree growing near the gate very close to the mystery bush. I don't think it is the same, but it may be.
20180722_113703_tree_near_gate_leaves.jpg

20180722_113724_tree_near_gate_trunk.jpg

Next, pictures of the leaves and "trunk" of a bush that is almost certainly the same as the mystery bush.
20180724_091133_bushes_near_gate_leaves.jpg

20180724_091146_bushes_near_gate_trunk.jpg

Another thing that happened yesterday is that my neighbor finally had an opening in his schedule for me to go get his tractor and implements. So now I am the proud owner of a New Holland TC48DA 4wd tractor and several implements. Watch out, farm, cause here I come!

Finally, I am asking for a bit of advise. The tractor and 3-point implements hitch directly to the 3-point hitch. So I am considering buy either a quick hitch or Pat's Easy change? What are you folks' opinion on those systems versus connecting directly to the 3-point hitch?

Senile Texas Aggie

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never used either of those hitch options on my tractors.

B-I-L has a Pat's on his Kubota 3pt. Hopefully they have improved since he bought his several years ago. The bolt and lock nuts on the sides that are supposed to keep it straight with the arm never would, meaning the quick hitch set a little off at an angle and you usually had to get off the tractor and shove the implement over a couple degrees. The other problem was, because Pat's effectively make the 2 lift arms longer, his PTO shaft for 2 of his implements were now too short. Seems to be a common problem if you read the reviews on Tractorbynet.

My nearest neighbor has the quick hitch that incorporates the 3rd claw that sits aft of the top link. If you go this route, make sure you get one with the 3-4-5-6 holes at the top so you can adjust that upper hook. Not all implements are the same, and he's had trouble switching from box blade to mower and has had to chain the top mount yoke of his mower to the quick hitch because the top hook would only partially engaged the top of the implement. (examples do not constitute endorsement or criticism of any particular brand)
Like this:
pintop.jpg

as opposed to this:
fixedhok.jpg