sheep and ponds

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are considering getting some Shetland sheep, and have two man-made ponds. Do sheep tend to stay away from the ponds besides drinking the water? The concern is keeping hooves off the pond liner. The edges are protected by rocks. Thanks.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
They won't choose to go for a swim, but I wouldn't trust hooves around pond liner personally.

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank for your reply. That's what don't want is for them to step in the shallow portion. I put a lot or work in the ponds.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I believe I saw someplace online a source recommending how much "dirt cover" is required over the liner to protect it from puncture by a selection of animals... I can't remember where I saw it and didn't bookmark it... sorry :( Maybe you could fence them out of the pond except in one area you choose where you can put extra soil above the liner, or maybe put in some sort of protective ramp for them to walk down to drink where their hooves won't come into contact with the liner?

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks Latestarter. I have rocks almost all the way around the second pond, but don't want them to step into the shallow part. One previous home owner here had problems with their sheep going into the marsh and getting stuck in the mud. Possibly sheep will not be the right herd animal to get.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Possibly sheep will not be the right herd animal to get.
I am partial to meat rabbits. Contained and good meat in shortest amnt of time other than hunting. They are the "fast food of livestock". I remember young guys choosing hogs over cattle because they are so much quicker turn around than cattle. Well, the season is much quicker for rabbits.
Supposedly four does can give you the same meat you get from one steer in the same amnt of time. Feeding the does, buck (s), and all those meat pen litters will be comparable to the calf too. Just food for thought. We no longer buy chicken or pork hardly at all unless we want a certain cut of pork.

Last edited:

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think your best option, if you are wanting sheep/goats/cattle and you are worried about ruining the liner, is to keep them away from the pond.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Latestarter. I have rocks almost all the way around the second pond, but don't want them to step into the shallow part. One previous home owner here had problems with their sheep going into the marsh and getting stuck in the mud. Possibly sheep will not be the right herd animal to get.
Any animal weather domestic or wild , will eventually cause damage to the pond lining if allowed to go on it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let a pond liner determine what animals I got... If I wanted sheep, I'd get sheep and fence them away from the pond... Simple, right?

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We already have too many fences around here. We have to keep the chickens from going were they get killed, keep foxes out, keep deer and rabbits out of the gardens. You are right though @Latestarter, the pond shouldn't determine what livestock animals to keep, just figure out how to make it work.

Latest posts