SheepGirl's 2013 Lambing Thread - Update - July 2013

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
I think the dirt must be cooler because our ewes do the same.
You're right, the spot my girls like is also dirt instead of grass. That's odd, because I would think the grass would be cooler, but apparently not! :hu

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, funny story today :lol:

I went out to try to take photos of my sheep for my photography class. So I let the rams out of them pen and let them just wander around the yard. When it was time to put them back, I got some grain and led them back into their pen. My one ewe was yelling at me so I went ahead and went over into the field with a couple handfuls of grain in a bucket and shook it. Everyone BUT the lambs came running up to me. I thought it was sooo funny how you could tell who's been fed grain and who hasn't. The ones that know the sound of grain came running up (even though 3 out of the 4 were snoozing in the sheep shack) and were trying to climb up on me to get the grain. The lambs were all laying up against the back of the sheep shack, unaware that I had grain. So I walked the mature ewes and the yearling ewes around to the back of the sheep shack and when the lambs saw I was giving the old ladies some treats they came running up to me and had discovered their love of grain. They followed me to the gate and were climbing up on the gate trying to see if I had anymore to give them :p

Ewes will recommence grain consumption on Sept. 18. Ram will be turned in on Oct. 5. Ewes will cease grain consumption on Oct. 22. Ram will be removed from the flock Nov. 8. Hopefully all ewes will be bred because my ram has someone who wants to buy him! :D

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, so funny how they learn the sound of the grain can! :D
I loved all the pics!!!
And Maggie might just be one of those new breed of sheep. :lol:
That's nice about the 'surprise' pumpkins!
I planted some pumpkins this year to feed to my sheep (and chickens and pig).
Maybe next year I'll have some surprise pumpkins!! ;)

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
In preparation of my 2014 lambing journal, on Saturday I'm taking photos of each sheep. This upcoming year, I am going to have it more organized than I did last year and much more descriptive (such as days of feed increases, vaccinations, due dates, etc).

Yeahhh for more Texel X babies :D