Shortages

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of WM butter in the freezer. During Covid, couldn't find butter, but I had enough to get us through-in the freezer. LOL Then I bought up more as it became available. So I haven't checked out prices lately. Was getting eggs from nephew's wife, but dogs got her chickens. Guess I'll have to get a few hens sooner than I planned. Still have plenty of meat in the freezer.

Going to host Thanksgiving dinner. Me, DD and family, friend (like a daughter) Sarah and family, maybe DS, totals 10. Going to invite 2 maybe more friends, maybe my sister and her sister will come. Yes, my sister (same mom, my dad adopted my brother and sister) has other half siblings, seems their father "got around" LOL So maybe 14-ish people. 2 friends and sisters will just come for the day. DD, Sarah and family are 8 people, glad I got a sleeper sofa.

I walked 1.8 miles yesterday. Going to church this morning. Friends coming over to visit this afternoon. Coffee is kicking off the day!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fortunately I have enough butter in freezer from somewhere in 2.50# range. Plus some minor amounts of goat butter but, several # of ricotta cheese from goat milk and a couple #mozz made this summer. Was just WOW, at current prices!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses ... totally off the wall for the 2 pkg compared to the 1 lb pkg. there by you. And yes, I expect that the next shipment will have the 1 lb pkg higher cost too. I purposely checked the prices and bought 1 of the 2 lb pkgs just to add to what is in the freezer. Also bought another big pkg of toilet paper. I am sure hoping that people are going to just see ENOUGH, that the vote goes very conservative in Nov and then it will take time to turn around... years I am afraid and there will continue to be shortages and outrageous prices for awhile. Look at the debt we are going to have to try to come out from under. There is a very interesting article in the Epoch times discussing the different econmies around the world and how BAD things are going to be in European countries and places like Japan... that we are actually in a fair place to weather it under the circumstances. But they are talking some possible world wide famine due to the lack of food from not enough farming/growing and the lack of fertilizer so greatly reduced crops too... and how this is all within the talking points of "reducing the world population" that ties in with these viruses and then the "vaccines" that cause more death than help.
Really recommend this paper for the insightful thoughts. Don't agree with some of it but it really digs into subjects and makes you think...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
very interesting article in the Epoch times discussing the different econmies around the world and how BAD things are going to be in European countries and places like Japan... that we are actually in a fair place to weather it under the circumstances. But they are talking some possible world wide famine due to the lack of food from not enough farming/growing and the lack of fertilizer so greatly reduced crops too... and how

It is true that the problems we see here are being experienced in other parts of the world. Just not made such a front page issue here, rather a brief mentioning. Inflation and shortages are greater than here, actually. They are also having greater job loss. Some of those countries had already been in limited food supplies. Now compounded. No matter the annoyance, the USA is still THE BEST ,🥰👍

Yeah, this will be around for years, as to recovery. But doing and knowing how to be your own frugal self will keep you in the "remember and complain" status rather than starve and collapse. 🥴. It's why we strive to live and produce for our family and friends. We share knowledge freely.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it's time for me to start freezing butter. I've been able to keep about 2lbs in the fridge throughout the current mess. From a safe food preserving board I was on (before I left FB) I found that it was ok to freeze eggs - so when the girls are giving more than we need I freeze them. Crack into silicone muffin mold (I'd say pan - but it's not metal) freeze and then vacuum seal in 2 eggs/bag. Works great for baking and such. Haven't tried them as fried though.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just bought 3 lb. pack of butter 2 days ago for the freezer. Told DS1 that we needed to buy each time went to store if he wanted Christmas cookies thus year. I think I will cut back to just one batch of each kind instead of several batches to share with family. Let them make their own! I would like to make my grandmother's fruitcake recipe this year. I am down to one loaf in freezer. I used to make it a lot for mother, uncles, and aunt but now with everyone dead, my kids don't really like it. Good fruitcake is an acquired taste. My grandmother taught e her recipe and I am the only one in the family to have it. She told me that good fruitcake had just enough batter to hold the candied fruit and nuts together. Then you have to soak it in liquor every month. Good fruitcake, stored properly and liquored enough, will keep for a year and gets higher in proof every month. I store mine in the freezer and just liquor it up every couple months - after a year or so, just a couple pieces can give you a real buzz! LOL. This year we will have to have it with Granny Wahl's Eggnog. ;) Wonder who will be the last person standing? :lol:

I freeze everything, but will have to go back to canning if electricity becomes a problem. Once we move to Texas I hope to get a propane generator and tank. With a garden I can go back to canning everything again. Even meat.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
1# pkg of WM butter. 4.48.....but a double pkg was 11.79. cleaned my glasses and looked again!! Yep, double way more than 2 singles 😦🤔
I've noticed years ago that sometimes the "value" size is actually more per pd. or oz., than the regular pack. Always do the math. Sometimes the small print on the price sticker gives the price per oz on lunch meat and various items. Even canned beans or chili. If not looking for an exact size per recipe I look at the oz.
Canned beans and other things that come in 3 sizes the double size is cheaper than 2 regular cans but much less volume than 2 cans and possibly more per oz.