Shortages

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Like that isn't "core" to living???
Well if you included all the "core" things that went up %100-%400 it'd be much harder to make this Pres look good. Readjust the figures until it works for what you want. Not so bad when your not splitting the bill.
Go through the exact definition of a recession, and were just going to say no, it's not really a recession.
Knowing how to be more SS is something I wish we could instill in more people. Many are not wanting to learn, or put in the hard work. Society is so different than when I was growing up. :idunno :old
That's much harder than just looking down at my phone and saying siri, order grub hub, bring me this.

Once I asked a local kid directions to the post office, he said google it, I said I can't, he said just use your phone, I said I can't and then showed him my phone. He had NOOOOooooo idea how I got up there we'll say 400-600 miles away from home, I don't remember. He had no idea how I got anywhere without multiple Gps devices. No clue about an atlas, which I can use without reception or batteries.
I don't know where this country is going, but it seems headed to a collapse that many have no clue that it is really coming, until it is too late.
I've seen many that can be drowned in facts and still say, well that's not how it really is, well so & so MSM said this, your taking it out of context, no it was Trump that started it, excuse, excuse, excuse.

Eggs double, milk, meat, FOOD, land (at least here) doubles. With a %100 increase in prices how are you going to tell me inflation only went up %10.

Sad times for the USA.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only ones seeing are the ones who have already been through it or can half sustain themselves anyway. The gps kid and a LOOOOOT of the people under 35 are just believing whatever MSM tells them.
We/these people are also the ones who are not standing on a corner yelling at people, because we have better things to do, like work. Our or me and many conservative people say live and let live. You do your thing just LEAVE ME ALONE. There is enough of the others who yells from the rooftops you must do as I WANT. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I can't find it now, but there was a group of conservatives on a college campus (Mass???) with tables set up and handing out pamphlets, buttons, info and things of the sort. They were mildly attacked, cussed yelled at had their tables flipped over, everything on it thrown around, some were slapped/hit. Security shows up and it slows but doesn't stop and they are allowed to continue some harassment. Later the school was sent a petition to not allow them in the school and said it wasn't legal or shouldn't be allowed for them to gather. Any other event like name their cause was fine. They could stand and yell that's fine. Someone else can't sit at a table and talk to those who did WANT to listen.
Now if you set up a table next to their's with opposing views IMO that's fine. You can have pro/anti this, that and the other. But the same rules should apply, yet noooooo. One side me says leave me alone. The other side screams you must do like I wish. Fing spoiled $hits. That's our new gen (didn't work out like the dodges ;) ).
What happened to the people who burned buildings, attacked police and got away scot free. Some Jan 6 are still in jail after 2 years without being properly charged or allowed to talk to a lawyer. Some were even in solitary confinement for a year.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So as I drifted off to sleep last night the shortages of course came to mind. my DDIL was chatting about the egg shortage yesterday as were some friends earlier. All of us have chickens so other than the normal on-vacation mode our chooks take this time of year we're all ok. The little local grocery store has plenty of eggs. The big box stores and some of the "regular" stores may or may not have them. Everyone screaming shortage.
But I ask: (in all seriousness):
Where have all the chickens gone?
Seriously - they were here yesterday and now not today???? Did someone turn their lights off, and now they aren't laying because they are in the dark?? OR who is dumping all the eggs??
Think about it - it's probably the one crop that doesn't take a lot of "extra" work. Just pick up the eggs and stick them in a carton. No milking machines, no butcher, no processing (ok other than washing them before sale to the big stores).
There is something VERY FISHY about this - and notice it happened during a time when many use eggs for baking Christmas goodies. Hmmmmm.
I too have that feeling of hopelessness sometimes. All I have to fight back against the political powers that be, is my vote. It doesn’t seem to matter who I vote for, it’s voting for the left or right side of a 2 headed snake.

You're not alone in that @Baymule - I have that as well, as I'm sure there are others of us that also feel the same.
When I'm out and about here at the ranch I look and see that everything around me is normal. That helps. I've got simple veggies, eggs, and eventually lamb for the freezer (hopefully by the end of 2023). I have neighbors with goats - for milk and cheese, another with beef cattle - I think we are good - but still need to be smart. Put us as much as we can. Be ready if need be.
As for voting -- that seems a joke. I still do, but. If everything is up and above board WHY don't they go ahead and do a recount and PROVE us wrong?! If it walks like a duck, talks like duck, looks like a duck .... it IS a duck.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were a few egg poultry farms that had to euthanize thousands...bird flu. That accounts for "some" of the shortages. There's disinfection, wait, inspection, raise birds, etc. to upstart. But, like many things -- raise that price and laugh!!

I haven't bought an egg in years! But, do check prices in stores. 😊

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were a few egg poultry farms that had to euthanize thousands...bird flu. That accounts for "some" of the shortages. There's disinfection, wait, inspection, raise birds, etc. to upstart. But, like many things -- raise that price and laugh!!

I haven't bought an egg in years! But, do check prices in stores. 😊
According to my DIL it's a worldwide shortage (she has chickens too so that's not an issue for her). Still shaking my head over it. "Forced" shortage?? Eggs shipped to the far east? ?? It is whatever it is. Being somewhat self sufficient is a good thing especially now.
I haven't bought eggs in years, thankfully I found freezing them works for when we've got the glut of eggs in the summer.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were some serious issues with a strain of "bird flu" and there were hundreds of thousands of birds destroyed last year. That not only took the immediate egg supply numbers way down.... but it also affected some of the normal houses that raise the birds as layers for setting/hatching eggs.... so then less eggs set, less replacement chicks hatched... less pullets to grow out to maturity..... and it takes an average 20+ weeks (5 months) for any pullet to get to laying potential.... some breeds longer... so the number of eggs has been nearly cut in at least ONE THIRD... which is alot of eggs just gone.....It was not only here in the US but also in many other countries... Supposedly it was the small backyard flocks that were the "PROBLEM" here, because they were exposed to the wild fowl (and waterfowl) that were spreading it.... but these small flocks do not have contact with the huge confinement houses that the layers are housed in.... explain that connection....

I don't think this was as "contrived" as some of the previous times when they were killing off so many broilers and such... and there were many rumors of a surplus of chickens and we were not allowed to ship to certain countries .... avian flu here, but for some reason they somehow reasoned that dead FROZEN chicken parts were carrying a live avian flu bug????? REALLY....and the chickens were supposed to be safe to eat once they were killed and processed since it was only affecting the live birds... like passing a cold bug from person to person with their coughing and sneezing.... but it wasn't safe for an infected person to be around a dead person???? Sometimes their "reasoning" just doesn't make a bit of common sense ....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were some serious issues with a strain of "bird flu" and there were hundreds of thousands of birds destroyed last year. That not only took the immediate egg supply numbers way down.... but it also affected some of the normal houses that raise the birds as layers for setting/hatching eggs.... so then less eggs set, less replacement chicks hatched... less pullets to grow out to maturity..... and it takes an average 20+ weeks (5 months) for any pullet to get to laying potential.... some breeds longer... so the number of eggs has been nearly cut in at least ONE THIRD... which is alot of eggs just gone.....It was not only here in the US but also in many other countries... Supposedly it was the small backyard flocks that were the "PROBLEM" here, because they were exposed to the wild fowl (and waterfowl) that were spreading it.... but these small flocks do not have contact with the huge confinement houses that the layers are housed in.... explain that connection....

I don't think this was as "contrived" as some of the previous times when they were killing off so many broilers and such... and there were many rumors of a surplus of chickens and we were not allowed to ship to certain countries .... avian flu here, but for some reason they somehow reasoned that dead FROZEN chicken parts were carrying a live avian flu bug????? REALLY....and the chickens were supposed to be safe to eat once they were killed and processed since it was only affecting the live birds... like passing a cold bug from person to person with their coughing and sneezing.... but it wasn't safe for an infected person to be around a dead person???? Sometimes their "reasoning" just doesn't make a bit of common sense ....
Gotcha. I know all about the avian flu as it has impacted us here in So Cal many times. I just haven’t heard of a recent outbreak- but then I’m not on an IV drip to msm. 😉 perhaps there was one - but on a global basis all at the same time? Whatever. Glad to have my own birds.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got this off of a different forum under "jokes"

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!
MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS,MSNBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.

The ant loses the case. Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid and Dick Durbin say justice has been served.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't
maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I KNOW it's completely naïve of me - and one day I'll probably be cold & hungry & wishing I'd been more involved/informed... but I just can't stand to watch/listen/read the 'news' anymore. It's probably been 2-3 years since I've tuned in for more than the weather - and then only when a big storm is expected. Every source has an agenda and presents the 'facts' in a skewed way to promote the conclusions they support.
I raise my animals. I grow and preserve some foods. I try to live frugally. I've learned some 'old timey' skills - butchering chickens, canning everything I can shove into a jar, scratch cooking, etc. Many of the 'prepping' things are out of my reach financially (root cellars, massive water storage contraptions) or just out of the question for me since the only horsepower on my 'farm' is my own back.
When I happen to use the word Farm to describe my home and people ask what I raise, I like to tell them my farm produces peace, and comfort, and the desire to worship & praise. That I grow friendships and provide knowledge (where I can).
I like to think (again, naively) many many many folks got through previous hard times - hard decades even - with little to no prepping. They just made-do with what they had, traded with friends & neighbors for what they didn't have.