Shortages

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sometimes use my credit cards for emergency pop up things that happen and pay it off over several months. But not at 31%. I’ll have to take a look at mine and see which are the worst.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exactly @Mini Horses .... and I have a couple I only use occasionally to keep them active which helps my credit score. But, that one has gotten out of hand.... interest percentage wise. I hadn't thought much about it until listening to a radio talk program and the mention of credit card interest rates going up.....so got to looking at mine and liked to fell over.... every one of mine has gone up some....like I said, I keep a ledger with all that pertinent info in one easy to glance at place....... and then comparing it to monthly statements where the interest is listed.... and they all will be paid off in the next 2 months except the 0% interest ones that I transferred balances to....
You gotta play the game so it works in your favor....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You gotta play the game so it works in your favor....
Exactly! Get a tank of gas once a month on those you just "keep active"...pay off before or at statement, 0 interest. I've sure bought things with $$ in mind and watching dates can get you free use of their $, like you said, 30-45 days. It can keep you from pulling from any savings -- that's hard to put back! -- if you have a need. Emergencies, sales, bulk buys, large bill, etc.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Honestly, I really think the freight strikes drove up the price of distribution and shipping. Nothing against truck drivers or railroad workers, even airline workers... but companies are now trying to replace retail stores with online only or pick up systems. 3 years ago, I move to a desolate area, well off the beaten path and against my best judgement. The supply chain in this area is actively and visibly collapsing because corporations, like walmart, now see more logistic sense in competing with amazon, etsy's, and ebay; than to continue to run physical stores. There are other things contributing.. but if anyone knows of a small parcel near omaha nebraska that's up for grabs, please let me know! 😅

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmm never had a credit card in my life never wanted one and my credit is great. House interest loans has dropped about 1% in our area and for me the price of materials at work is going down even below pre COVID price sheat steel was $27 went to $47 now is $21. Oreos was $8 something a pack and is now down to $4 something same with foldgers coffee it's dropped about $5. Eggs are still high but dropping. My gas well normally runs 20psi and this winter it is 45psi. My retirement investments have gained some not much but I haven't loss. I know I'm not watching things as tightly as most but the few things I see has gone down. My savings accounts are growing and there is ammo on the shelves. Maybe I have rossy glasses on.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read an article that said egg prices would go down this year. @Simpleterrier you might be on to something. The joke will be on those who panic bought chickens. There is a lady in Lufkin who buys red sex link pullets for resale. She’s done this for years. Now she is on a first come, first serve basis. She gets a batch in on Wednesday mornings. Last Wednesday she got in 900 and was sold out in a matter of hours. Another shipment on this coming Wednesday! I can only imagine the traffic jam on the road she lives on!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a LOT of chicks!!! Way more than I'd want to deal with. These I have in their tote upstairs is giving me some stair climbing every day. 😁

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There used to be a "small hatchery" that would raise up pullets to sell also....I think they had a batch of 2-3000 at a time... I would buy 50-150 at a time back when I had the free range egg business and would sell some on the side... not a business like hers, but they would supply whatever # you wanted... but you got on a waiting list most years.... and if you bought regularly, they would actually call you and tell you when they were going to have the next batch ready to go and ask if/how many you wanted. They were mennonite and had a lot of mennonite farms that would cull out their flocks every year... only keeping hens through one laying season and when they went into a molt, they would go.... because they raised them in quantity, they could make some money in the #'s.... like anything else, you have to have numbers to spread the costs out over in order to justify making a profit... and right now with the craze she will be able to turn them over.... good for her....

Last edited: