Shortages

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just read an interesting newsletter on my email, titled Worse Inflation Than the Jimmy Carter Era.
If anybody here was around for that, then you have an idea of what's coming at us. The il embargo, lines at the gas stations, limit of 5 gallons and could only get that on even/odd days, depending on the last number of your license plate. Interest rates over 20% IF you could even get a loan. Businesses shut down. Prices went to the moon and back. It was bad.

This article stated that is inflation was measured under the OLD state, it would come in at 15% . The government keeps shaving down the requirements for reporting the inflation numbers, but we are not fooled. Only an idiot would believe that load of lies. Anybody that goes to a gas station or grocery store knows the truth.

This article predicts the possibility of hyperinflation. If that happens, it will be worse than bad. So best advice is be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing very new, but I read that in Southern CA they are limiting gas to a total purchase of $75 at select stations. @Ridgetop already noted mandatory water cut backs. My family in San Jose CA are on mandatory 15% reductions in water, but they thankfully live on postage stamp places.

The destructive fire in Laguna Nigel yesterday, used alot of expensive water. One wonders how those expensive homes will rebuild with the shortages and prices of building materials. Hopefully they had escalation clauses on their home insurance.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not to worry about those expensive homes. Even with the ack of water sewer services, electricity, closing power plants for a "GREEN" California, the CA government wants more and more homes built for taxing purposes. People on regular city lots are being encouraged to build guest house size apartments to rent out. Building codes, formerly some of the most stringent in the nation, have been relaxed or ignored for that purpose.

Here barns are being repurposed without proper foundations and converted into 2 story homes on half and quarter acre horse property lots! No water? No problem - the rest of us just have to make do with half as much!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got a reminder today that if you have long term food supplies, you need to rotate things. We had ordered several cans of dehydrated food to replace some that we have had for a long time. We opened cans of butter and powdered eggs only to find that the butter hydrated very well but the eggs had a brownish color and looked nothing like eggs.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I remember those odd and even days, locking gas caps, locking the shed cuz a gas can disappeared. Pop's brother had an evil Chesapeake, he chained him at night in the driveway. His gas quit disappearing.
US 13 goes thru the center of town. I could probably point to a dozen or more places that used to be service stations that closed up before 1980.
I don't think there's one service station left here in Salisbury and only know for sure of one up in lower Delaware. You want gas it's at a convenience store.
I've kept an extra refrigerator in the utility room, really a closed off one car garage, for xtra sodas, bait etc. The old one the freezer quit and my DL offered hers that was in storage, rough but worked good. Well the circulating fan quit, DL and DS went to look at new ones. Needless to say the old one got fixed. 300$ labor, installation and new part. Here's the kicker. Fan comes from Indonesia. I wasn't surprised just bugs me that so little is made here any more. Then I saw the refrigerator was made in MEXICO.
My last job all the non military aircraft work was sent to Chihuahua in 2016. My hats from China, shoes from Vietnam, pants are from Bangladesh. DS worked on his wife's car today and the back of package says Made in China. I was gonna fill a milk jug with water for the bunnies and stopped to read the label at least that's made here. Then I see the note at the bottom about cows treated with growth hormone rbST and there's no significant difference between treated and non treated cows. WOW shouldn't have read that. Meanwhile never forget most of everything we aren't happy about has taken place while the current occupant was a US Senator.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not in favor of using rBST in cows... BUT, it is simply a lab made form of something that naturally occurs in cattle. Any one that says their cows have no BST, or most say that the cows are hormone free..... is not telling the truth. You have to say that there is no artificial rBST. Again, I have seen the problems that it caused in cattle... breeding problems, feet/hoof problems... and some of the farmers that used it gave it up pretty quickly.... it has a place in a cow that does not come into her milk ... say she aborts after turning her dry... but it is SELDOM used by any of the farmers I know. Like everything else that has been discovered and scientifically produced, it has a limited place.
Because of laws, all the milk companies HAVE to put that disclaimer on the milk. And I know for a fact that years ago all the milk companies here sent letters telling the farmers that they would not pick up milk if they were aware of the farmer using rBST on the cows due to the public's preference for "hormone free milk"... then they had to amend that to say no ARTIFICIAL hormones...

They WON'T allow us to advertise that milk is 96.5 % FAT FREE though...in fact since they changed the "standard"... your whole milk in the store is only 3.25% butterfat... so milk is actually 96.75% fat free.... and they allow all the "nut milks" to be labeled milk and that is false... Milk comes from a LACTATING MAMMAL.....

Double standards and talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay... no new comments after the free fall for awhile yesterday in the stock markets????? Over 1100 pt drop after it was all said and done....
Today was down another 200 pts I think...
You know the sorta sad thing about this in my life... my nephew went to school for investing and all that... and last year when we were up for one of my parents funerals, we stayed at my sisters' house and her son came by and we got talking about the economy and all the increases on prices (must have been for my father's services in Sept) and what the "covid" lockdowns had done and how things were not looking any better. I said that we were looking to go into a tailspin, that the economy could not keep up with all the give away programs, that we were headed for a rude awakening... and he basically told me I did not understand the stock market and that it was not in the dire straits that I was thinking it was... and my sister was talking about how much they were making with him managing the investments and that a few little dips were to be expected... and I said yes, it will fluctuate, and there will be good and bad months... but that this country was headed for a major correction and probably a recession... that people could not keep on sitting on their butts, and expect the gov't to keep supporting them and that prices were going to continue to rise...and that the mess with the gas and oil industry was pushing us to ridiculous prices... and remember this was when it had only gone into the $3.25-3.50 range.....
Yet they kept talking about how much prices of food were going up and I tried to get it through their heads that it was in great part due to a couple things then... droughts and crop failures...increase cost of fuel for tractors to run.... and TRANSPOTATION costs to get it to the stores. My nephew just is that much too far removed to fully get the connection...
I understand from a few comments on his facebook page that I checked on the other day... that he is really upset that they are having so many negative days... and it is stressing him out...
WELL, HELLO..... been telling you this.... And on top of it all, he is one that is in the will... and wants nothing from the estate, has done nothing to help... and is one of the "3 grandchildren" included in the e-mail from the niece - his cousin - that is causing all the expenses and all with the latest BS.... but I am sure he will not turn down his part of the inheritance when it all finally gets settled ....he just bought a new sports type car because he was tired of his truck... yet it is not family friendly and they are going to have a 2nd child here shortly....and now his world is coming apart because he is feeling the financial problems...
I am just glad I did not ask him to manage any of mine... He said I was way too conservative and that I was losing money with having most of my retirement funds in the very conservative low interest YET SAFE , account that I had switched them to a year or so ago....
Yep, I didn't "make " some of the money I probably could have... but it is 95% in safe, non-market oriented account that I won't lose any money on either... Not that anything is going to keep up with inflation now....

Okay, so how are you all feeling with the last couple of days.... and the constant upheaval like no baby formula available????? I know that several of us are well past that stage, but there are members here that do have young children/babies.... at least most are in the mindset of being conservative with money and self sufficient and putting up food for the winter etc....

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan
It will only get worse. People are living in denial. When the true panic sets in the country’s/world’s inventories will be exhausted quickly and- not replaced. The infrastructure that supports our civilization is under systematic attack. Fuel, food and freedom. In this country most are distracted by nonsense and incapable of making good personal or political decisions due to the erosion of values. Whether you believe in the Bible or secular political theory about the lifespan of empires, we’re in for some tough years.

Latest posts