Shortages

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I power washed for a commercial hatchery that hatched 10k commercial Longhorns for replacement pullets, every 3 days. It was honestly really gross. I'd love to be back in the chick game right now but I'm stuck in an apartment up north for a few more months.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I power washed for a commercial hatchery that hatched 10k commercial Longhorns for replacement pullets, every 3 days. It was honestly really gross. I'd love to be back in the chick game right now but I'm stuck in an apartment up north for a few more months.
I hope you can get out of there soon!

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hope you can get out of there soon!
Yeah, We're shopping in that Omaha-KC area but it'll likely be next winter if we can swing it. I have to get a business plan together and get practical. I'm to beat up from life and working in the sale barns to put my efforts into hoofstock anymore. Rethinking the game plan vs. the goals I've always had, is tough. My girlfriend's not really farmy so unless I could hire some contruction and grunt guys 😂😂 big stuff is out. We have teens but only one is even vaguely into this. There's another that's 9 but doesn't have any exposure and needs work, but her soul is willing 😁.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, We're shopping in that Omaha-KC area but it'll likely be next winter if we can swing it. I have to get a business plan together and get practical. I'm to beat up from life and working in the sale barns to put my efforts into hoofstock anymore. Rethinking the game plan vs. the goals I've always had, is tough. My girlfriend's not really farmy so unless I could hire some contruction and grunt guys 😂😂 big stuff is out. We have teens but only one is even vaguely into this. There's another that's 9 but doesn't have any exposure and needs work, but her soul is willing 😁.
Like @Mini Horses said, a garden and some chickens wouldn’t require what animals do. You could make raised beds, 3’ tall by 4’ wide and as long as you want. Then you could sit on the sides and work in your garden. Chickens are fairly easy. So you could have your country home.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Like @Mini Horses said, a garden and some chickens wouldn’t require what animals do. You could make raised beds, 3’ tall by 4’ wide and as long as you want. Then you could sit on the sides and work in your garden. Chickens are fairly easy. So you could have your country home.
I can work goats better than a garden these days, 😂. Moving a permanent net wouldnt be to bad but I can't install parameter fence anymore. I just can't be down on the ground for that long. This rocky, mountain ground really was alot worse than the midwest to garden in though.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay.... anyone worrying about the bank situation? Now there are 2 banks closed due to liquidity... the one in CA and one in NY now....

Some of my stocks have dropped off a bit, one is way down but I look for that company to be bought out in the future and it was a buy and hold stock so not going to panic... I think that it will come around...
Going to invest a little more in one that pays dividends... it is pretty stable; has dropped a bit in price so a good time to pick up a few more shares. Understand I buy 10-25 shares at a time... no big purchases at a time usually. I also will have all my cc 's paid off this month, except for the couple with current balances that I pay off every month; except the "no interest " 2, that I make the payments on and will pay off before the end of the free interest period. Starting to stockpile some cash... in the form of SILVER coins. Legal tender silver....

I am no expert at all, or I would be rich... but I have been watching and learning...

At least most everyone on here should be able to be able to feed themselves with gardens... and livestock...

What are others of you thinking and feeling????

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been out of stock market for years. No losses there. Cash. Nothing for a bank run problem, FDIC covers most and mattress the rest🤣.

My goats have been paying dividends.,🙄🙄🤫

I'm a little MORE concerned that feds won't stop hitting SS trust...and paying out to those not paying in (SSI) as that system affects way more people than those people with stock $$. Do I think another "great depression" will happen? It sure could. But I could get by....tough, but would do.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay.... anyone worrying about the bank situation? Now there are 2 banks closed due to liquidity... the one in CA and one in NY now....

Some of my stocks have dropped off a bit, one is way down but I look for that company to be bought out in the future and it was a buy and hold stock so not going to panic... I think that it will come around...
Going to invest a little more in one that pays dividends... it is pretty stable; has dropped a bit in price so a good time to pick up a few more shares. Understand I buy 10-25 shares at a time... no big purchases at a time usually. I also will have all my cc 's paid off this month, except for the couple with current balances that I pay off every month; except the "no interest " 2, that I make the payments on and will pay off before the end of the free interest period. Starting to stockpile some cash... in the form of SILVER coins. Legal tender silver....

I am no expert at all, or I would be rich... but I have been watching and learning...

At least most everyone on here should be able to be able to feed themselves with gardens... and livestock...

What are others of you thinking and feeling????
Not great. First they scare us with voting, then virus, and now this. I get most of it but there’s that government control the people thing that keeps ringing in my head.
Of course if people start pulling their hard earned $$ out things will get worse and there will be another domino effect (remember the toilet paper runs/shortages).

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I pulled some cash out (small bills) last Friday and will do again this week. Since we sold the house in OR, and paid off this one, we are now debt free. Hubs wants a new car and I REFUSE. I don't want a new car. I like my 2015 Mercedes SUV that we bought three years ago. It works fine.

Look for dividend stocks that are hi rate payers. I'm glad I dumped Intel a bunch of years ago, since the cut their dividend to pennies. I need to dump ATT and take a loss this year. I find that the dividend money is extra on a quarterly basis and goes right into savings.

Being smart and savey about prepping also goes a long way in being more self sustaining.