should I show cows?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still haven’t had a chance to weigh in fully...:hide

Prospect steer is one that will show finished next year.

The $30K ones are very few and far between.

Oh, they sell for that much at the NC State Fair every year. Companies buy them. Farm Bureau usually buys something. It's basically just a prize/scholarship for the youth. The market barrow sold for over $20K.
And they regularly bring around $10K at county 4H show and sales.
My point was that people spend big money to have a steer compete at that level.
No telling what they paid for that animal from that ranch in Texas.
They probably didn't make that much with their expenses.
It's all about the "bragging rights".

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe at the NC State Fair the youth doesn't get 100 per cent of what the animal goes for at the "Sale of Champions"
Some of it goes to the fair to fund youth programs.
My organization the NCDGBA get's a $500 grant from the fair each year to put on a youth day at our spring show.
The Fair funds 10 scholarships for youth that have showed a the fair. I think one is for $3500 and the other 9 are $2500. The scholarships are not just based on grades, but on the young person's livestock showing resume.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello @Abbie Sapp ; first thing is why are you considering getting show cattle? Do you want to compete with local kids at the market animal show? Are you looking at the "big money" they bring and think you want to get in on that? Do you have any showing experience with any other breeds of animals?
As a few other posters have said, some will bring very big prices. BUT you are paying alot of money for them as younger calves, will put A LOT of money into them in feed, alot of time in them to work with them and get them to show ready condition. For all the ones that turn out to be "nice" cattle, but don't place in the top couple places, they will bring little over market (current) price and that will probably not pay for all that you have in them.
My suggestion is if you are not quite sure of what you want to do, is try to find someone to mentor you. You need someone who has experience in it like your 4-H leader, and can help you buy a calf that will be structurally sound and a possible prospect to show. We sold a couple out of our commercial beef herd when we were more involved in the 4-H and FFA groups and they did decent. Gave the kids some experience, and placed in the middle of their classes so were a fair showing. They only paid us the going market price for the calves. There is no reason to go pay THOUSANDS of dollars for a calf as a beginner. You need to learn the ropes and then decide if it is really something you have a passion for.
Any animal does better if it has company. That said, you do not need to have 2 very high priced calves. One can be your show prospect, the other could be one to just raise up that will be sold or put in the freezer as beef.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre the State Fair winner here sells between 20-30k. Our county fair is about 3k. I’ve seen steers well anywhere from $500-$30,000 then the craziness link I posted on my journal. I’ve been surprised by those that think that an ordinary calf can bring the 30k at auction. ;)