Show Sheep Beginnings

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We also have Bruno along. He freaked out when we loaded Mocha and followed us for close to a mile. 🤷‍♀️
20221029_114150.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks so serious showing her sheep! Love the costume! Mocha makes a pretty unicorn! I’m glad Cassandra had such a great time.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
SHOW SUMMARY:
Junior Showmanship- Did not place. Nice comment from winning girl. Judge said "she needed to push more". She was doing the bear hug around the neck vs show head nicely.
Costume Contest- Had fun and got participation candy. The youngest entrant dressed as Sheriff Woody won.
Screenshot_20221030-093410_Photos.jpg

There were some teenagers with awesome technical costumes. How do you get a sheep to walk with sheet over it's head?!
20221029_143526.jpg

Everyone at event was super nice. Didn't mind answering "what class entered" kind of comments. Only nice or curious comments about Katahdin sheep. I don't know if difference was me being harried new event mom or location but it was GREAT.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know little to nothing about showing sheep or goats or even cattle. BUT I do know the prep for showing my horse years ago and showing chickens and so I know it is ALOT of work. I think it is great that she took this seriously, and that she had fun too. It is supposed to be fun, even when nerve wracking.
So glad that you got lots of help and that people answered all the "newbie" questions you had.
You and Cassandra are on your way. In the process, you will be showcasing the Katahdin breed which is a big plus. And their nice calm dispositions always helps.

CONGRATS to BOTH of you... and the rest of the family for the support in the background !!!!!
Hope the little guy's eye and all heals up fine.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is how I made the costume. You need a halter to assign to costume. I made this in under two days.

I purchased 2in wide acrylic ribbon to match sheep coat color, a unicorn horn headband, 2 skeins of variegated yarn, and buttonhole thread. Another roll of ribbon to match kids outfit would have been great.
20221030_090911.jpg
Headpiece:
* Start with ribbon twice as long from forehead to neck with a bit extra.
* Pry stuffed horn off head band. If it's only glued together, whipstitch seams before continuing.
20221030_090927.jpg
* Cut pieces of hair by wrapping around box and cutting. Forelock needs to be short enough to not get in eyes.
* Find spot approx 1/3 down ribbon and stitch forelock hair on. Do this by making knot around middle of ~3 strands of yarn hair. Do about 1/2in before horn placement, skip width of horn base and continue to between ears (measure against sheep's head). I put about 4 bunches of 3 strands per row spaced 1/4in apart.
20221030_091128.jpg
*The hair behind the ears was much longer and spaced about 1in apart. I also sewed hair down at 2/3 point not midway. This gave me 2 length which made volume.
20221030_091059.jpg
* Attach horn to empty spot on ribbon.
*To finish, fold ribbon so smooth piece coveres the knots. Do rows of stitches thru both layers to make loop/channel at front, where halter behind ear band, base of neck, and very end. I only had time for 1 row and several stitches popped. Reinforce with several rows!
* Front loop down to noseband was done with embroidery string which snapped. A better option would ne a narrower ribbon matching kid outfit.
*Slide ribbon thru slot at base of neck and tie in bow. This was hair colored but matching kid outfit would have been better.
20221029_143928~2.jpg

Tail hair was done same way but she hated it and it didn't stay straight. I will need to come up with new method.

Last edited:

Latest posts