Show Sheep Beginnings

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@BrahmerQueen Opps, I didn't mean have her show there in August. I meant go watch this year and plan to try next year/ similar shows later this year. That was example of rules and the shows I was finding local-ish.

@Ridgetop We've tried going to the local 4H group for multiple meeting this spring. Introduced ourselves, helped setup/ teardown tables and chairs. Unless I cornered someone, no one would talk to us. 🤷‍♀️ And the summer meeting were basically role call of who went where and what they won. This school year we are going to try next town over...
Oh ok that's a good idea sorry. At the show would also be a good place to talk to people that show I'm sure there will be other katadin breeders there that can help you

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would maybe look for cheaper shows like others mentioned, or look at livestock jackpot shows, and see if any have PeeWee showmanship for kids her age. Lots of those classes can be done with a borrowed animal and are great to get kids introduced to showing. That would be my best advice.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some 4-H clubs are really cliquey. Ugh! :mad: You can always start your own club. You will need to sign up and take the leader training (only 1 day). All you need are 5-10 kids and 3 families. Then you can choose your own projects and the parents that have preferences for teaching (or doing and learning) certain things can be leaders. As leaders you will get all the information about stuff from the 4-H staff at your County Extension office. Might be easier than joining a club that has people that are not welcoming. It will certainly be easier setting your own meeting schedule. And when your kid's school friends hear you are starting a new club, they will probably want to join your club. No rush yet. What ages are your kids?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop Alexander is 10 and uninterested. Cassandra turns 6 in August and super interested. Part of my issue is we have Katahdins which aren't commonly shown, I got several "grumpf" faces when I mentioned them. We did talk to a few people at the Kaufmann show that show Dorpers. The people were nice but freely admitted Dorpers are psychotic.. I also have issues with show docking that leaves zero tail vertebra and often causes prolapse issues.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Ridgetop Alexander is 10 and uninterested. Cassandra turns 6 in August and super interested. Part of my issue is we have Katahdins which aren't commonly shown, I got several "grumpf" faces when I mentioned them. We did talk to a few people at the Kaufmann show that show Dorpers. The people were nice but freely admitted Dorpers are psychotic.. I also have issues with show docking that leaves zero tail vertebra and often causes prolapse issues.
You can show your sheep. They are hair sheep you just got to enter them in as hair ewes/rams. If you get wool sheep they need to be shaved.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If your sheep is a katahdin you shouldn't have to dock it period.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Registered Katahdins are shown undocked in breeding classes. If there are enough exhibitors, they’ll be shown as their own breed. Otherwise they’ll be thrown into an AOB (all other breeds) class.

In breeding classes, you can show lambs and yearlings (some small shows or youth-only shows will have classes for aged ewes too).