Sid Update!!! WAS: Sid stopped eating

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's the hardest part of livestock. They don't make a fuss. That is why I like putting up the sheep at night in the barn. It gives us a chance to look each one over individually and make sure they are eating, etc. Doing a head count also means we don't miss one that has stayed out to lamb either. With our LGD now that is not as big a problem, but I like having them where I can make sure they have nursed and are standing. Glad Sid will be around for a while longer. We had a couple guardian llamas at one time and they were interesting.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Llamas can live to be around 20. The issue with llamas is that they are extremely stoic and a lot of the time, once they show symptoms, it's too late to do anything.

I lost my favorite llama to an abscessed foot in part because she didn't act like anything was wrong for a long time. The ultimate cause of death was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, but when I skinned her (I wanted her skin tanned), the infection was all the way up her leg and into her shoulder.

:ep

That would be awful. But I truly get it. They can show nothing and then be dead.