Sid Update!!! WAS: Sid stopped eating

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At 17, he's pretty old. I'd have the vet come look at him, but honestly, I'd start thinking about whether it was time to let him go.

Llamas and alpacas are prone to ulcers, but I think he is suffering from old age.

:hugs

We've thought that.

Give him Probios daily (10g). Check his teeth. Have you body scored him lately? Have you tried giving him water with electrolytes in it? They usually like the horse electrolytes.

He's a tough one to handle. His body is still in decent shape but with him not eating, he could drop pretty rapidly. All he's interested in is staying in the back pen and not dealing with anything or anyone. It might be teeth, but I'm wondering how he'll handle anesthesia at his age.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, I'm pretty sure he has an abscessed tooth. I gave him antibiotics and that got him out of kush. His cheek started swelling up and he's drooling big time. He wants to eat -- I soaked his food, but he hurts. Giving him banamine is crazy with him. I don't think I got much into his mouth. We called the llama vet. I'll probably have to bring him in for a tooth pull or two or more.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like he will be fine once he see's the den

Maybe. He is old. The vet said he may need more dental work after this. But at the moment, we're going to bring him to the vet tomorrow and see how he'll do.