Skin off my Lambs leg

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i went to the chemist and bought a bottle of neomycin spray . the chemist told me it is good for this sort of wound. I will get some honey and pepermint oil tomorrow. . because i had other lambs and never has this problem.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know, it's strange. It doesn't look like something I would think would happen from a dog licking, that's why I wondered if it was something like a birth defect or difficult birth? It could be a dog! I just wonder what else it might be. I would think, trusted LGD or not, once it got to the flesh, it would trigger in that it was meat.

I did have a chick born (totally different, I know) with its skin distended and water underneath. I put the chick down, but upon looking at the deformity closer, the skin was fragile and ripped easily to expose flesh. Could be something like that, just a malformation -- they happen, it's natural. In the wild, the animal wouldn't survive, but it's a great option to have choice to give them a chance.

I would, though, really really like to see pictures of the leg below the joint.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Four Winds Ranch - Nope! It's a living being injury department. The beneficial part of natural practices is it's broad spectrum. The curative properties are universal, where the only exception is allergy within species or individuals. What Aloe does on humans, it does on cows and chickens and so on. Oregano oil, honey and hydrogen peroxide is no different. I'm always happy to help though with natural remedies. If I don't know, it's highly probably I have a textbook that does.

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update and pictures. last night last night we doused the whole leg in a antibiotic , to give it a good clean, put some honey mixed with 3 drops of mint oil. on a bandage and wrapped it. also sprayed some Neomycin . today she managed to suckle off her mother what helped a hell of alot. again sprayed it with water and a tiny bit of salt., the odor seems to be alot less today .I am thinking maybe it was from the Pig fat I put on it when we first took it in, to stop the bleeding. we are snowed in this morning, so I called the vet ,and he cant come, so we have to do without the injections for now. she seems happy enough . I put some more photos of it.

Attachments

• DSCN0527.JPG
    DSCN0527.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 138

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
because of snow internet slow. can not upload any more today

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
well, it doesn't look any worse, the green seems to have more of a blue tint which, to me, hints at enough bloodflow to keep the tissue going. keep using honey and whatever antibiotic you're using. are you using table or epsom salt?

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
no I have not used Epsom salt. should I ? what does that do ??

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
personally, I'm unsure of what the goal is with salt water. salt dries, no matter how little is in there. epsom has different properties from table salt and if you must use it I would suggest epsom over table salt.

if you're using the salt water to clean the wound, i think it would be more effective to use plain dawn dish soap. it wouldn't be as drying and is gentle. however if yohre spraying the wound with salt water to keep it moist, its doing the exact opposite. try using honey water if you don't have saline, or pure aloe gel, without the alcohol in it.