Skin off my Lambs leg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's something to keep handy for livestock and animals of all kind and it will help that wound heal faster and also regrow the skin/hair quicker: http://nustock.com/

Take a look at the testimonials page to get an idea at how quickly and how well this stuff works for wounds that take off skin. It's worth every penny and your local feed store might have it...but TSC won't.

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sorry i Hva enot been on for a while because of bad internet connection we are snowed in. I will upload a couple of pics from today .

Attachments

• DSCN0539.JPG
    DSCN0539.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN0540.JPG
    DSCN0540.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0541.JPG
    DSCN0541.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 160

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
It doesn't look as terrible. Does the wound smell? Is he walking on it, Is it hot?

Looks like you're doing a good job, it doesn't look overly wet but still looks hydrated.

if you have oregano oil, I would now mix a few drops of it into the honey mixture and reduce the peppermit a little.

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
the smell has reduced alot. , am also stopped using the salt and water. yesterday because it now is dry enough. i am wrapping at night with honey and mint oil. . still using the neomycin spray , and not putting it on the top end but below the hock ,we are snowed in and cant go to the city , so cant get oregano oil. im not sure if they have it over here. she don't walk on it. its up. i did light physio on it yesterday but i think i will stop that for another few days , until i feel it is all dryer. and dont look tender. she eats well and hops about all over the place. thank you for your interest.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, at worst with this little one, perhaps consider amputation if it comes up? In this case, I sure know I'd think about it after all this trial. Does anyone know if she could be bred with one back leg gone, or lamb alright if she was AIed?

You don't want the wound too, too dry, it needs to be somewhat moist to indicate hydration. But, for what it is, it looks good. I have no idea how that happened, still not convinced it was a dog either, it just seems so cleanly ripped like a malformation or deformity.

You're doing your best! Keep up the good work and don't worry about the reg oil.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're doing a good job for poor lambie, and lots of good advice on here. I have nothing more to offer but good wishes and hugs to you!!!!!

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thank you for the support, , it is the dog I am certain. you see you overlooked something. the tail is gone. all this happened in a couple of mins. while we was feeding them she was being born. i would of stayed near her if i had finished and none if this would of happened. but i had tofeed the rest of the animals at the time., I wont trust the vets amputating the leg. , the more i use the vets here the less confidence i am having with them. they all seem to be butchers not vets.

Riverside Fainters

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it.. But where are you located? Maybe someone can offer advice on a vet nearby they like and trust.. Looks like your doing all you can to help the little lamb

Gizma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live in central bulgaria in the mountains. I am worried about the movement of the leg. i am starting to do a little physio. its very stiff

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Before seeing the pictures my first thought was that the skin will heal around the wound. Now that I see the damage I have no idea.
I would think it's very painful if left out in the air to dry. There is some stuff I've seen horse people use to help proud flesh wounds. Let me check around to see if I can find out what it is.
Wonder if you could/should treat it like a burn since there is no skin left?

I have a hard time understanding how a dog could do that without damaging more than just the skin. But I understand the part about the dog getting carried away with cleaning it.
Do you have it on antibiotics? If not I would check with the vet but I'd be wanting to give antibio's to prevent infection along with pain meds.

Good luck and I would love to see pictures of the leg healing. I had a sheep with a playing card size missing skin wound. Within 2 weeks the skin around it just started growing over the open part. But I don't think that's going to happen for your lamb. I am really curious about how the body will regenerate a covering for the leg.
Good luck and please keep up posted.

Looking again at the pictures I would trim off any dead skin that's hanging around the wound. You need to have blood flow for healing. The dead skin is just going to spread if you leave it hanging. (I see some at the bottom of the picture on the right)