Small wormy ewes?

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We took in a little ram ram lamb recently from someone that didn't want him anymore .I hoped he would be happy with the rejected goat kid trio but he really isn't. Looked around us and found someone with three 'small wormy ewes' for sale. Says they got wormy and it made them small but when he realized they were wormy a couple weeks ago he dewormed them. Since theyrthsmall and he likes his bigger, he's selling all three for what one goes for. Not looking to breed, just hoping they will keep Ramses company. Thoughts?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably coccidia infected and probably damaged... go to tested herds with healthy animals.
Far too many "think" their animal has worms and treat without having a clue what is the real issue. Worming does nothing for coccidia.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We neuter / geld / wether all boys here . :)

Never thought that he could be guessing at a diagnosis. Thanks. Wonder if he would be open to me bringing my vet out before making a decision.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I quarantine all new additions for 30 days. During that time I deworm at 10 day intervals, treat for coccidia if under a year old, treat for lice/mites/ticks. At least two fecals done to ensure deworming effective. Bringing in resistant parasites is not something I want to do. Whatever vaccinations needed are done, also.

I use a dewormer for at least one deworming that will get flukes and one that gets tapes. Historically we have not had flukes, but with influx of Boer and Kiko from all over USA flukes are showing up here.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is scrapie? I know I can Google, but todays been rough. Lol. Hes started bit a jerk to the runt goat kid so tonight he is alone in a make shift pen at the interior of our pastures, basically in the backyard. He needs friends. He's turning into a jerk. Lol

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No. I don't think ivI'ever seen any goats in my area with ear tags!! I have to pay more attention when I look. I know the ones for sale around here have photos posted online and none have ear tags. Thanks for the link. My reading material this morning.