Small wormy ewes?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not see them in dairy goats especially because their tattoo is their id info that is connected with scrapie compliance.
Meat goats, market goats, sheep, lambs are generally tagged.

People don't think it happens but we had some people a few years back call about some of our LGD's. They had babydoll sheep... their second round of sheep. Their first round 5 years earlier were scrapie positive.

You mentioned you had a lamb... sheep are more at risk than goats.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeh my concern was the lamb ewes being sold. We took Ramses in from someone that didn't want him anymore. We never knew anything about sheep, so after we were asked to take him in I started reading up on feed, housing, etc but never read anything about this, so now I'm worried. The guy said the ewes had worms so they are small compared to what he usually breeds. Said he dewormed and they are healthy .Hes selling three for what we pay for one around here. Thought it was a good deal until someone mentioned he may have assumed they had worms but may actually have something else that could make ours sick.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When it comes to livestock... that great deal... yeah, isn't one.
Looking for the good deal gets you sick animals.
Buy healthy.
A good deal is what you look for at the grocery store or a yardsale etc. Not live animals. ;)

This is a "let me sell em and get something for them before they drop dead".
People do it all the time with poultry infected with MG... they take them to swaps etc. knowing they are sick birds.