Snow! In Texas! AGAIN!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We travel I-20 all the way to Odessa. Last time we picked up the girls, I-20 was shut down on both sides. High winds blew the power lines down. We jumped off, crossed medians, a ditch, and took backroads home. It took us 2 hours longer, but we were lucky to escape. The power lines didn’t get put back up until the next morning!

@thistlebloom the tree was struck by lightning. The base of the tree takes two people to reach around it. Poor tree!

We have lots of red cedar on our place. We cut some for posts.

We are not going anywhere. Everything is coated with ice.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Baymule, i have a sister inlaw in Odessa, one in Houston and one in New Orleans and have a lot of fun poking them with my “gee sis, im sorry you live in such a hostile environment” When they’re weather is worse than ours. Don’t happen often, just enough to raise some hackles occasionally.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Water buckets were iced over. I put pots on the stove for boiling water. I haul two 5 gallon buckets in my wagon to carry the hot water. I bust ice, pour in boiling hot water. Sheep were glad to get a drink. I did the dogs water buckets, chickens but only busted ice in the horse tank and for the steer. Chores this morning took several hours. I get to do it again this evening. I get to do it for a week!

Another pine limb came down in the sheep lot last night. It landed on a cow panel and bent it over. When it warms up, we’ll take it down and drag it to the driveway. Then I guess we can beat it with a sledgehammer. and maybe straighten it out enough to use it again. Tried to post a picture but phone is not cooperating.

I heard a loud crack while I was outside, a large pine limb hit the ground in the yard. The pine sap is rising from the roots and moving into branches and ultimately, the pine needles. The weight of the ice, coupled with the sap-I guess it is freezing?—-is breaking off pine branches.

Had a ewe lamb born last night at dark. I put new mom and lamb in a small pen. I had to warm her up this morning. I sat in the hay with lamb in my lap, tented a towel over her and blew a hair dryer on her. Kept her little head sticking out so the heat didn’t hurt her little lungs. Then she nursed her momma. I’ll have to keep an eye on her.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your lucky we didn’t get snow we got ice and I’m in Texas lol
We got snow January 10. So far, all we have gotten this go-round is ice. Sleeting now, supposed to snow today and tomorrow and Wednesday. Where in Texas are you? We are north of Tyler in Lindale.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like you are in for several more days of "WEATHER" ????? And all of it heading my way after it leaves you with it's reminder of winter.
We had misty watery sprinkles yesterday.... turned to ice and our road crews were out again with salt on the roads. I had to go out and walk through the snow to get to the car because where I had shoveled the steps and the porch had turned to SOLID slick ICE.
I came out this morning, not real early because it was very foggy with the clash of cold and warmer air since our temps were right in the 33-35 degrees.
Came up the hill, and everything up here is covered with ice.... beautiful to look at on the trees but pretty slick on surfaces. My steps were slick because of the slight melting on the top of the ice.... I took the shovel and broke it up and then shoveled it all off down to the bare concrete. Temps were right at 38 at the other house but only 34 here at my house. Hoping it will warm up a few more degrees but it will get colder this evening again. This pattern is supposed to last for several more days....more rain/sleet/icing/ possible snow through Tuesday, then another possible front on Thursday/Friday.
DA@# that groundhog that saw his shadow in PA.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I busted ice in one of the dogs water buckets-have 5 scattered about for them. I dug a slab of ice out and tosses it on the ground. Carson thought it must be something good and grabbed it. Proud of himself, he laid down to enjoy his treat. Goofy dog!

94C65E3D-EA0B-4689-B48A-3BFA7AF3140A.jpeg