Snuffles (Pasteurellosis)

heatherrpearce

Just born
Reaction score
ok im new to rabbits. im trying to help my kids with their project but today i noticed after we got our rabbit a week ago our holland lop who is a yr old has a clear discharge from his eye and he sounds kind of raspy. its not a loud noise i noticed it when i picked him up to hold him and he put his face new my ear. ive been trying to find out what it is and what we need to do to help him. please any help would be appreciated. thanks

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
heatherrpearce said:
ok im new to rabbits. im trying to help my kids with their project but today i noticed after we got our rabbit a week ago our holland lop who is a yr old has a clear discharge from his eye and he sounds kind of raspy. its not a loud noise i noticed it when i picked him up to hold him and he put his face new my ear. ive been trying to find out what it is and what we need to do to help him. please any help would be appreciated. thanks
Sorry to hear you have a sick bunny. Do you have a vet in your area that specializes in rabbits? Unfortunately with rabbits, they hide their illnesses until it's really bad. It's part of their hardwired. They can't look sick and vulnerable in the wild so they hide symptoms. Rabbits can go down hill real fast because they hide their illnesses.

I would get your holland lop to a vet. Snuffles or any discharge (because I really don't know what your holland has) is something that should throw up red flags.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Hoping your kid's bunny gets well soon. :)

heatherrpearce

Just born
Reaction score
hey thanks his runny eye has stopped and i havent heard anytype of sounds from him since our vet that we have for 4h told us to give him vitamins and put acv in his water. he said it couldve been just stress from moving. so im hoping her stays well. we have a mini rex and a lionhead also that show no symptoms at all. we are just waiting to see if he gets worse then if he does he will be going back to the vet. thanks for the help.