Soft stools in 7-week kid

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have had our two Nigerian doelings for a week now. They are 7 weeks old. I wanted to bottle feed them until 10 weeks or so but neither one would accept the bottle. They are eating well, though. Hay, a small amount of sweet feed, and some green shrubbery from the yard (mostly honeysuckle vine). One of the doelings, Clementine, starting having soft stools yesterday instead of the normal dry pellets. It isn't what I would call diarrhea but it's a soft little log. Should I be concerned? Is she getting too much sweet feed? (They've probably each had about half a cup per day.)

Any advice would be so welcome. I'm trying to give them the best start I can. Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best thing to do is get a fecal run. I cannot stress this enough. The soft stools could be from diet and diet change but at their age they are also more prone to having a parasitic bloom. Cocci is a big concern for young kids. It doesn't mean they were not healthy or anything like that but a cocci bloom or a parasite worm load can "bloom" and a young kid can go down quickly.
Without a fecal you really cannot tell. :)

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In case this is relevant: I've had them indoors for the past few days because it has been cold here. They have spent a few afternoon hours outside in their run.
Thanks, Southern. I'm checking into local livestock vets.

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So is a soft log poop considered scours? I always assumed scours was watery.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Anything not normal pellets is considered a scour. There are different levels of scours though so it's always best to be clear on what type of scours you're goat is experiencing.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
In case this is relevant: I've had them indoors for the past few days because it has been cold here. They have spent a few afternoon hours outside in their run.
It's definitely relevant. That alone could be enough of a change to cause soft scours. Get the fecal though as it's best to be sure there are not parasites involved before you presume another cause.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Also it's better for them in the long run to leave them outside even though you've had a cold snap. Give them extra bedding if you need to so that they can snuggle down in it. Make sure they have plenty of hay as eating and ruminating warms their bodies.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
everything Elevan said... :thumbsup

and although this is NOT relevant... I just want to kiss that little face in your avatar! How did you pick which one to put up? Theu are so cute cute cute! :love Nigies!

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is bringing them indoors bad because of the temperature changes? Or some other reason? (Thank you for being patient with my newbie questions!) I will go ahead and move them outdoors today. Clementine is definitely not feeling well. She looks a little droopy and her bleat sounds weaker than usual. Poor girl. I have a call in to the vet. She just pooped so I put the poop in a clean plastic container because I imagine I'll need to take that in for the fecal.