Something killed all of my chickens last nite!!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:hit :hit :hit

Something dug into my chicken coop/ run and killed all of my 10wk old chickens last night!!

I've posted on BYC too in the hopes that someone can help me figure out what my predator was.

If anyone here thinks that they can help please go to:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5059811#p5059811

{Warning: there are graphic pics}

It has been a very sad day.

I am especially upset about losing my beautiful Redder Fredder, our gold crested polish. She was the sweetest little chicken! :hit

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
sorry
:-(

we've heard a LOT of coyotes lately so we are on super high alert.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about losing your chickens. What would do that and not eat the chickens? Don't raccoons do that? I don't know if there are weasels in Ohio. I haven't heard of any but I don't know. I would think coyotes would take the chickens and eat them. The only other thing I can think of are dogs that are just doing it for sport. Do fox eat them or leave them?

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
growl. foxes take them.

we came home to find some neighborhood dogs eating one of my favorite hens. but mostly they killed them and left them. if something didnt eat them i'm guessing its dogs.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We just found the missing chicken - ALIVE!!!! :bow She wedged herself between the rain barrel and the fence. She couldn't get out of her spot but nothing could get to her either...the rain barrel being in a corner.

We've got her in a dog crate in our camper until we can make our coop / run the chicken fort knox!

This little gal hadn't been named yet. So, we've now named her Lucky!

It still hurts that we lost the other 10 but this definitely eases the pain some.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
if something didnt eat them i'm guessing its dogs.
There were 4 holes... 2 not more than 1 1/2 inches diameter....1 probably 2 inches diameter and the other 3 inches diameter...

Definitely not dogs - something more sinister and sneaky.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The consensus on BYC is leaning to weasel or mink. I know absolutely nothing about either of these creatures!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Weasels are chicken killing machines and move from bird to bird drinking blood in large amounts from the throat in case they get disturbed. Back in the UK my two dogs tried to kill one and I had to call them off to save a vets bill.
So sorry to hear of your loss and the photos suggest a weasel, stoat, mink attack with the hole size in your coop wire

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do not know about Ohio but here in Kentucky you can trap weasals and mink, in season which starts in two weeks. You may want to conatct your Fish and Game department. They might know of someone who would be happy to come and catch the critters for you.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
I do not know about Ohio but here in Kentucky you can trap weasals and mink, in season which starts in two weeks. You may want to conatct your Fish and Game department. They might know of someone who would be happy to come and catch the critters for you.
Thank you for the idea. Our season starts Nov. 10. I've told just about everyone I know that if they know someone who traps to let them know that they are welcome to trap on my property.