Storage options

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m thinking along the lines of storing feed in a large trash can but not sure how to keep bugs and rodents out. Any suggestions for how to keep the pests out or something else more appropriate To store feed in? Im not sure if 5 gallon buckets would be appropriate. I feel I would have to have a bunch and it doesn’t seem practical.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use the old galvanized iron trash cans with a tight fitting lid. If you caulk the seams and the lid where the handle is attached you can keep the can outdoors. It is important that the lid is tight.

The metal cans will deter rodents and sprinkling DE (diatomaceous earth) inside the can will take care of most of the insects.

A 20 gallon can can hold 2 50lb bags of feed, and a 30 gallon can can hold 3 bags.

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use the old galvanized iron trash cans with a tight fitting lid. If you caulk the seams and the lid where the handle is attached you can keep the can outdoors. It is important that the lid is tight.

The metal cans will deter rodents and sprinkling DE (diatomaceous earth) inside the can will take care of most of the insects.

A 20 gallon can can hold 2 50lb bags of feed, and a 30 gallon can can hold 3 bags.
Great! Looked it up and found one at lowes. Thank you!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We use a Vittles Vault - link below, this works great, easy to fill and use, keeps moisture out too (and we live in a humid area) they come in 50lb size, that is what we have.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m thinking along the lines of storing feed in a large trash can but not sure how to keep bugs and rodents out. Any suggestions for how to keep the pests out or something else more appropriate To store feed in? Im not sure if 5 gallon buckets would be appropriate. I feel I would have to have a bunch and it doesn’t seem practical.
I use large black plastic storage containers, the ones with wheels for easy maneuverability. Black keeps the light out but I also store them in a cool, dry room under a table (i.e in the dark) - this ensures nothing grows. The other upside is that they hold an entire bag of feed. They also have clips on two sides which keeps the pests out.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need metal bins. Rodents will chew through the bottoms of plastic or Rubbermaid type containers. We also had the Vittle vault type containers. Rodents chewed through the bottoms of all of them. You need metal.

You don't say whether you are keeping these storage containers inside a barn or shed roof. If you have them on an open field they can get knocked over and spilled. Eventually they will rust out if kept in the wet.

We used 50 gal. metal drums for a long time. They had lids which could be sealed, but I think the manufacturers have gone to PVC type barrels now. We still have some of those metal barrels. We made wooden lids for them though since using the metal lids was difficult. The lids were heavy and unwieldy, and stopped fitting after being dropped a couple times. When they fit tightly, they were almost impossible to lift off - they had to be pried off. LOL The 50 gal. barrels stored a lot of feed but when you got to the bottom they were so deep you had to tip them to get the last 20 lbs. out. They are also extremely heavy to move around empty. Once filled you can't move them.

Whatever you decide to use, metal is best against rodents. There s nothing so upsetting as moving a barrel of feed to find that rodents have chewed a hole through the bottom edge and the feed is spilling out onto the barn floor, attracting even more rodents!

Isaac

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The cans are a good idea, but another way to store lots of feed and not have pests get into it is to use an old chest freezer, it's what we use and we haven't had a problem with critters getting in because freezers are meant to seal. Hope that helps!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You need metal bins. Rodents will chew through the bottoms of plastic or Rubbermaid type containers. We also had the Vittle vault type containers. Rodents chewed through the bottoms of all of them. You need metal.

You don't say whether you are keeping these storage containers inside a barn or shed roof. If you have them on an open field they can get knocked over and spilled. Eventually they will rust out if kept in the wet.

We used 50 gal. metal drums for a long time. They had lids which could be sealed, but I think the manufacturers have gone to PVC type barrels now. We still have some of those metal barrels. We made wooden lids for them though since using the metal lids was difficult. The lids were heavy and unwieldy, and stopped fitting after being dropped a couple times. When they fit tightly, they were almost impossible to lift off - they had to be pried off. LOL The 50 gal. barrels stored a lot of feed but when you got to the bottom they were so deep you had to tip them to get the last 20 lbs. out. They are also extremely heavy to move around empty. Once filled you can't move them.

Whatever you decide to use, metal is best against rodents. There s nothing so upsetting as moving a barrel of feed to find that rodents have chewed a hole through the bottom edge and the feed is spilling out onto the barn floor, attracting even more rodents!
wow your rodents must be a lot more aggressive than we have ever had. We have had mice in our animal area, even though it is totally enclosed, but we have gotten all of them out now. But never did they make it into the bins, they were too happy to get into the animal food that was dropped on the floor instead.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have large ground squirrels and rats. We had some of the Vittle Vaults in our barn and rats chewed through the bottoms of them. We replaced them with metal cans in the barn. Then we had another 3 Vittle Vaults on the patio sitting up on the patio storage chests in which we keep our furniture cushions. In the middle of the night with our bedroom windows open I could hear gnawing noises. A few days later when moving the Vittle Vaults, I noticed a pile of white plastic shavings next to one. Moving it, dog food spilled out. All 3 had been gnawed through in several laces! On the patio where we are always moving around! And one of the Anatolians sleeps right next to the storage boxes! We have bodacious rats and ground squirrels! They do eat the hay as do the rabbits, but they also recognize that a few nights of gnawing will result in the good stuff. We used to have barn cats but even they could not keep down the numbers. When DH sets up his rabbitry again, I will have to buy lids for the J feeders. Even then I will probably have to empty the feeders every day or 2 due to rat droppings contaminating the feed. I only feed enough for the rabbits to cinsume daily but if they don;t finish it off .