SuburbanFarmChic Journal - update and rant 5/5

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've never had to deal with it before the past two months. We had one baby go missing right around when we had a party. I assumed that somebody opened the cage and didn't notice it jump out. When we had 3 poof last week I suspected serious human intervention.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
At least it was a child (probably) and not a mature adult. I've heard of adults releasing rabbits at farms for various reasons. Yikes. I hope you won't have anymore problems. Rabbits are huge enough escape artists without human help!

CYG

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When adults deliberately release animals they release them ALL. It is most likely a kid wanting to play with the bunnies and then can't get them back in for any number of reasons.

I would go with a lock and a camera. Some kids ( and their parents) just don't understand. When I lived in the city, I had neighbors who kids woudl come over and chase the chickens. No amount of explaining would convince the parents the kids were doing anything wrong. I eventually called the police when I caught them out there and the officer was kind enough to gently scare the dickens out of the kids and they never came back.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope it is resolved soon.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agreed. If it was an adult, then all of them would be out or gone. Since it is the "cute" ones that are going missing, I'm putting my money on a kid.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well so far all bunnies are staying put and the old Nubian that we thought were were putting down (still might) is slowly recovering. Got all her bedding changed out, she drank about 1/3 of the slurry I made her and I think she's picking at hay.

Also dug out the kidding stall, moved the milking stand away from the pooping corner and laid fresh bedding and hay down and then shut it off so they can't go mess in there.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We put down my first goat on Monday. Not the first goat I've euthed/killed but she was the first goat I ever had. She was 12 and was kicked in the head by a horse a couple years ago and was a hard keeper ever since. But she was SUCH a wonderful girl. She was my grand dame herd queen. She was gentle but firm. Truly an amazing doe. Put up with me learning to milk on her. With the trains that roll by here, with the other idiot goats I brought home. She was a trooper through it all. My heart aches for her and I long to turn back time and change some little thing that would have made a difference in being able to get her through this.

But life has to move on. We have babies due any day now. I know her condition was a risk to me, to them, to the rest of the herd. I know she was miserable and in amazing amounts of pain. I know I logically made the right choice for her, for me and for the whole farm. Emotionally though I am a wreck. I feel like I failed her. I feel like I should have given her more time. Even though I KNOW I would have risked my entire herd and probably still lost her I can't help imagining things being different.

She's being buried on the hillside behind our chicken coop and shed and we're planting a tree there this spring. Good bye old girl. You taught me SO much.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
We put down my first goat on Monday. Not the first goat I've euthed/killed but she was the first goat I ever had. She was 12 and was kicked in the head by a horse a couple years ago and was a hard keeper ever since. But she was SUCH a wonderful girl. She was my grand dame herd queen. She was gentle but firm. Truly an amazing doe. Put up with me learning to milk on her. With the trains that roll by here, with the other idiot goats I brought home. She was a trooper through it all. My heart aches for her and I long to turn back time and change some little thing that would have made a difference in being able to get her through this.

But life has to move on. We have babies due any day now. I know her condition was a risk to me, to them, to the rest of the herd. I know she was miserable and in amazing amounts of pain. I know I logically made the right choice for her, for me and for the whole farm. Emotionally though I am a wreck. I feel like I failed her. I feel like I should have given her more time. Even though I KNOW I would have risked my entire herd and probably still lost her I can't help imagining things being different.

She's being buried on the hillside behind our chicken coop and shed and we're planting a tree there this spring. Good bye old girl. You taught me SO much.
So sorry to hear that. But it sounds like you did the right thing.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss.

What a sweet honor for your animal mentor.

Wishing this sadness passes soon for you because you really did right by her and your herd.

K

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Guess I should update this puppy.

Been a busy week.

DH got the news that his boss will ENTIRELY pay for his masters degree. WOOT!! This is huge because 1) we don't have to pay for it and 2) it means Mike wants to invest in him as a long term employee. :weee

We had twins born to Maggie yesterday afternoon. Girl is meh, the boy is doing a little better. Stabbing them both more than they'd like but they still snuggle. And woot! again, she hasn't bitten me in at least 6 hrs.

There 6 turkeys in our old chicken coop. They will be there until Sunday and then they are freezer bound.

I swear to all gods listening I do NOT want to have the time to go pick up this buck I need to borrow. Really. I have absolutely NO desire for a lull in dramatic events. Baby goats don't even interest me in the least and I hate annoying the ever loving snot out of preggo does. Honest. :hide

We are headed about 3hrs up into PA on Saturday to go pick up our beef order. Of course the van is acting up so I'm going to have to see about borrowing a friend's truck which will WAY up the gas cost.

Thinking that brown bunny had a pseudo pregnancy as she pulled fur for about 2 weeks and is about a week over due. No babies.

Our old lab is dealing with mastic tumors and now has a big one on his leg. He is of the age where chemo just isn't an option and it would stress him out too much and make him miserable. They seem to come and go and we're hoping that old age gets him before anything gets painful but we're watching to take measures if needed. Not going to let him suffer as he was born in my lap.