SuburbanFarmChic Journal - update and rant 5/5

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
SuburbanFarmChic said:
Thank you for the holiday surprises.

We are all trecking up to NJ the day after tomorrow for the funeral. Fun Fun Fun. Guess I should find my black dress. I KNEW I should have dry cleaned my husband's suit.
Sorry you have to go to a funeral. :/ But if you're coming nearby would you care to drop off a piglet? :lol:
HA, if I was coming closer I totally would. Maybe when we go to Lewes this summer :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sending heartfelt condolences. Wishing you and yours a safe trip.

K

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Back from the funeral. Rough, but it was really good to see all my family and reconnect with some of them.

Preggo goat has a discharge but her udder isn't boom yet and she's not quite loose enough. Suspect she's just losing her plug. Think we're looking at 1-2 weeks yet.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sold 3 of the littler girls that I was nervous about breeding and gifted one companion bottle baby annoyasaurus rex to some people that bought one of our piglets back in August.

They are going to a 14 acre farm to run around with 6 other pygmy goats and are off my feed bill. WOOT!

We are having an apparent issue with either baby rabbits getting out of cages or somebody coming in the yard and messing with them. I am NOT a happy camper about this as we have completely gone over the cages and there is no way for 1 rabbit much less 4 from a littler to get out. With 2 being straight up missing and 2 loose in the yard.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Strange to have nearly halved the goats in one day. Yesterday morning it hadn't crossed my mind, by 4:00 I had the three smallest posted and by 10pm they were sold and picked up and had a wether going along as a door prize. I sold the girls for just over twice what I bought them for so that will help cover some of their costs while here and I feel good about the home they are going to.

We broke out the new Wii last night. No way we would have bought one for ourselves but a bunch of family members combined to get one for us. The Wii fit first said I had a health age of 11 yrs older than I was. After I did some of the exercises I retook the test and it was 3 yrs older. I think all I did was learn how to better cheat the system. I was moving a good bit and it did make me pay attention to my posture a bit better but you can have total duck butt with your stomach hanging out and as long as your weight is distributed between your feet then it says you are in the correct position. It clearly has some flaws but as long as I look at it more as a way to get up and moving and not an accurate depiction of calories burned or correct yoga poses then I think it will help. It did add up my BMI which was horrible. 32.56. Bleh. I put in a weight loss goal of 10lbs over the next 2 months.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Quick rabbit update. We think someone (specifically the boy across the street) has been coming in the yard and messing with the rabbits. Babies have been going missing out of TIGHT cages. We had 3 dissappear all in one day while my husband was gone for the funeral. 2 were in the yard loose and 1 was completely gone. Of the 2 in the yard our dogs got one. We had a raccoon trap that I've been putting out but she was only about 7 weeks old and wasn't heavy enough. I checked the trap this morning and nothing. Went to TSC to get goat food, rabbit food and a smaller trap. Came home and there she is in the big trap. Woot and Grrr...!

I was saddened by the loss of the little black rabbit but this girl was going to be a replacement breeder.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would get locks for the cages. We haven't had trouble but that's our plan if things go awry. We have good neighbors and no nearby kids thank goodness. Our animals are all in the barn and with the GFAS (Guinea Fowl Alarm System) nobody will be able to pull anything off without detection. From us or the neighbors, since some are very close--luckily they love the birds!

I would thump that kid on the head or put up a game camera and take evidence to his parents. If it continued I'd get some of those motion-sensing water sprayers meant to scare deer--I don't play when it comes to the animals in my care. In the least you can put up a sign. It may be enough to scare off a kid with good intentions. If the kids a brat get the deer sprayer.

CYG

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
Quick rabbit update. We think someone (specifically the boy across the street) has been coming in the yard and messing with the rabbits. Babies have been going missing out of TIGHT cages. We had 3 dissappear all in one day while my husband was gone for the funeral. 2 were in the yard loose and 1 was completely gone. Of the 2 in the yard our dogs got one. We had a raccoon trap that I've been putting out but she was only about 7 weeks old and wasn't heavy enough. I checked the trap this morning and nothing. Went to TSC to get goat food, rabbit food and a smaller trap. Came home and there she is in the big trap. Woot and Grrr...!

I was saddened by the loss of the little black rabbit but this girl was going to be a replacement breeder.
So sorry to hear you have stupid people raising stupid kids in your area. And the loss of your little black doe. Amazing how some feel they can do whatever they want on your property with your animals. Get locks and camera and nail whoever it was messing with your livestock.

K

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We tied the gate to the backyard shut and I'm going to put locks on the gate to the rabbit area and I'm making a nice little sign that says "Thank you for letting our rabbits out so the dogs could rip them in half. Please let me know if we have any more animals you'd like to torture".

We are looking into a camera as well.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm sure the locked gate should take care of it and I still can't believe this happened. If it was a one time thing I can understand it being an accident causing panic and so no one admitted to it but more than once that's ridiculous. I know our breeder rabbits are all named and very important to us. Losing even one to the wrongful actions of a human being is unacceptable.

CYG