Tail docking/ear cropping

ShadowsFIAL

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am going to jump in on this one!

I work at a vet clinic currently both as a veterinary assistant and a groomer, and have been here for 4 years now. I will tell you this, I have seen more dogs with ear infections from ears not cropped than from ones that were.

I have watched both ear cropping and tail docking and have helped with both:
  • Puppies do feel the tail docking, just like they do the dewclaws, but it is just like having a babies circumcision done. They don't remember it later from that age.
  • The ear cropping I am fine with, IF the owner gets pain medication for their dog. I have had cartilage piercings done, and have friends who have, and just from that experience I would not want my dog in constant pain through the healing process. Sign my dog up for the good drugs please. As for owners who don't want to get meds for their dog, that pisses me off.
  • Spay & Neuter. This is a fence for me. I believe that you need to get your dog fixed by 6 years of age. Unless your vet says your dog is in good health to continue breeding for a few more years. It can save you in the long run. I have seen many male dogs with prostate issues & testicular cancer. I have also seen many female dogs with mammary tumors, ovary tumors, as well as pyometra, which is a serious infection in the uterus, and it happens more commonly when they get older.
I had my male german shepherd castrated this year due to his prostate becoming questionable, and rather than having to do a large and expensive surgery or having to put him down if it got worse I did preventative neutering. Which now his prostate if fine. I always has him checked at least yearly to make sure everything was fine.

I also however got my young male shepherd neutered since I did not want to breed him due to his mental state. He is questionable around new people and is a fear biter, and he randomly got this way at 3 months of age. This was not a trait I wished to pass on , so I had him castrated at a year old to save me the trouble. I believe you should really wait till your dog is at least a year old to get this done, and still even then I agree that they do not fill out to their full mass unless you wait till after two years of age. Wonderful herding dog though. No training at all. :)

I personally would want to crop my LGD's ears, just as if I were to get a great dane or a rottie, I like the look, and rottie tails are insane. But this is also why I like dogs with naturally raised ears haha.

Just my two cents. :p

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think I'll get my GPs ears cropped!! BTW, they are clean as a whistle inside. Of course I've only had him 2 weeks so I don't have many years of experience with his ears.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce he's a bit past the ear cropping age at this point!

Most men I know appreciate Rottie tails being cropped. Our friend has a Boxweiler (boxer/rottie and no he didn't pay for a designer breed, he just calls him that) who has a very ahem... Damaging tail.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep. And he would look stupid.

You can always hitch bungees from each side of the collar to the end of their tails. Cuts the torque on the wag pretty much to zero ;)