Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spring lambs get slaughtered by barber pole worms. Their systems aren’t mature enough yet to fight off the parasites. I’m with Mike and Teresa on this, spring breeding and fall lambing, ready to sell in January is the way to go.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Extreme dry conditions helps to reduce the barber pole problems. The eggs don't hatch, the larvae cannot survive on the stems of the grass. We have less problems with them from mid-summer on if it is fairly hot and dry. Still, a couple good rains, and there will be s "bloom" of them again... so will hit the lambs in the 1-4 month range.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll post a few more pictures since we will go out tomorrow to weigh and tag. The lambs from 52 and Ginger will be easy to catch but 136 and her lamb probably won't get tagged until we bring them into the chute. 136 is the daughter of the ewe that we called Wild Thing. After three years she finally calmed down enough to take a cracker but you couldn't touch her unless she was in the chute. In spite of that I really liked a lot of things about her but she was big enough to hurt you so she had to go. First picture is Ginger, then 136 and finally Cooper staring at me close up just knowing I have a cracker in my pocket.

Attachments

• 095 Ginger and ram lamb 10 July 2022.JPG
    095 Ginger and ram lamb 10 July 2022.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 136 ram lamb 10 July 2022.JPG
    136 ram lamb 10 July 2022.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Cooper 10 July 2022.JPG
    Cooper 10 July 2022.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 46

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sadly, more often than not the daughters take after the "wild, nutty or skittish" mothers... and the sons are often like puppy dog pets.... :he:barnie
:idunno:hit
I've got a heifer that is on that high strung cow, NICE HEIFER.... acts just like the stupid mother.... She will be staying at the nurse cow pasture with the longhorn and her calf... and the nurse cow and her 3.... HOPING that she might cool her attitude a bit.... now that most of the other calves are gone, just 2 more to get moved out with their mothers.... there will be just the 5 and the nurse cow calves are eating grain and the longhorn's heifer and the nutty heifer all come right in the creep gate.... Just want her to not go banana's all the time....

Latest posts