Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had another couple sets of twins born this morning. We went out and got weights and ear tagged those that are ready for it. Our sheep have the tendency to spend the first couple of days at or near the spot where they lambed so I always make sure I have extra water and feed to set out for them. Fortunately they are smart enough to stay near shade with almost 100 degrees for the last couple of days. I have a stand of giant bamboo that seems to be their favorite spot. There is a micro climate under the bamboo that keeps them fairly comfortable even with the heat.

Teresa went out to see where the bottle lamb was and he was bouncing around Maisy and bumping her all over trying to figure out where the milk was. :) She finally had enough and walked away.
Maybe the bottle lamb would learn to steal off other ewes....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the bottle lamb would learn to steal off other ewes....

Maisy and Mel stay close to him during the day and we take a bottle out several times during the day. They all come running up when we take the Ranger out to bring the lamb in for the night. The lamb would try to steal some probably but our ewes are not gentle on lambs other than their own.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did my routine with the new ram and he is coming around a whole lot faster than I had expected considering how little he had been handled. He will come up and eat feed out of a bowl right in front of me and he doesn't react at all when I'm out sweeping up pellets. He wasn't sure whether or not that he liked it but he tolerated my hand on his neck and he obviously enjoyed the scratching plus he seems to enjoy me talking to him. I have no intention of taming him but I do want trust and we are getting there. If we can get him comfortable enough we want to get him on the scale since he is the biggest ram that I have seen.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You say he did have some handling as a youngster. They remember! I always handled foals at birth and first few days after, touching, holding, etc. Do so now with goat kids. That imprinting seems so minor but big difference comes in their acceptance of being handled later. I think he'll be fine in short order. 😁 you brought an adult acquaintance with him. That has always been my goal when adding does to my herd, if possible. That's partly why I just bought 3 from one herd...they have a friend while acclimating to new surroundings an animals. It's more than "chicken math".

He's a nice one. I hope you get him weighed too. Curious to know.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let Carson in this morning. I felt like I was doing him kinda dirty yesterday, putting Cooper and Dessa in his yard. But Carson asked to go out last night like he always does and woke me up barking last night. A big goofy Great Dane/Labrador cross, not a LGD, but I won't tell him that. He just rose up, BOOFING, not a full bark and wanted to go out. Carson is on the job.

It won't take long for the new ram to calm down and give you his trust. Yes, their balls are bigger than their brains, but at least they have enough sense to figure out that you are no threat.

Just getting light, Sentry and Sheba are barking, Carson is barking, don't know at what. They have quieted down now.

Cooper and Dessa are at the fence, staring across the driveway. Dessa yells at me, wanting to be back with her friends. Cooper yells at me, wanting to cross the driveway and go make NEW friends. :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bless all of you with the barking dogs at night. I am glad that they are doing their jobs for you. And I sure hope that Cooper and Dessa get into some sort of an "acceptance" of NOT getting what they want @Baymule .
I would also be curious what the new ram weighs. I really was impressed with the picture of him... he has size and length to really stamp his lambs if he is prepotent. Let's hope it is a good blend with your genetics.

I know everyone keeps saying that members will love their new phones as we have to make changes. BUT.... @Mike CHS ... they still make flip phones that are perfectly compatible with the 5-G stuff that our old 3-G phones won't work with. If all you do is use it for talking and maybe occasionally texting or something... and Teresa has a phone that does the "fancier stuff" you have little or no use for, then go with the flip phone. I know everyone has kept saying about going with the smart phone... but I am leaning more and more to another flip phone. I want it to fit in my pocket, I don't want to worry about it getting broken; my DS has gone through 3 or 4 in the last 18 months; I hate the size they are. I have a computer at home for things I need to look up and I am not price comparing at a store I am at shopping at... I am not often looking for GPS for directions at the last minute. For many people the smart phone might be the greatest. For me, it seems like there are just too many other things I don't need on them. And one more thing... the cotton picking RIDICULOUS prices are just too far out there for me. Newest, most top of the line stuff just doesn't impress me.
It is just to each his own. The flip phone I looked at is water proof also.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan the only use I have for a phone is talking. Even when I had a bunch of people working for me they knew that if they needed direction from me, they had to call since I didn't and still don't answer a text. I'll read it but that's it. :)

The ram is coming around fast. He is still skittish but it has been less than a week and he will come up and eat out of a bowl that I'm holding and doesn't react when I walk around him.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa took some pictures while we were out with the sheep so I'll post a few.

Attachments

• 10 weeks old Ram Trip.jpg
    10 weeks old Ram Trip.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 26 and lambs.jpg
    26 and lambs.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1848.jpg
    1848.jpg