Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This must be the season for fund raising. Teresa helped at the church this afternoon handing out meals for folks that had been part of their annual trail ride (horses). They had over 320 people and their horses take part and it is supposedly the biggest in the state. I'm not sure how they access all of the land but they start on the trail in the morning and don't get back for over 8 hours.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had planned on working the big herd today but we had to do some work on the chute to get the ground level enough so the scale would work. The new scale is longer and heavier but it is less forgiving of unlevel ground.

We have a couple of ewes that we want to pull fecals on but other than that, they are ready to move to a new paddock. After that, we will call in the dozen ewes and Oshi to separate the young ram and Oshi and move the ewes in with the others. We will leave a couple of ewes to keep Oshi company but he won't be doing any breeding for awhile so we will keep the ewes away from any gates he has access to. I still need to pull one gate and repair it that he turned into a W that started as a straight line.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got all of the sheep sorted although it didn't happen the way that we had planned on. When I went down to let the big bunch of ewes into the stall, I was surprised to see that Oshi was with them. He obviously didn't agree with what we had planned so he forced his way through the gate to get with the ewes that he was slated for.

I have been making it a point to handle Oshi out in the field and he made it easy to get him in the chute and on the scale. He weighed in at 271 so my estimate of 250 was a little off. We also pulled fecals on him and a half dozen of the ewes.