Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like we won't be getting tomatoes from the auction this year since we already just about have enough to get us to next harvest season. The picture is todays haul and we have picked almost double that so far. We use bell peppers a lot and we have already put away several gallon bags of chopped peppers. We wanted to leave a bunch on the plants till they turned red but there were so many on the plants that we were afraid the plants would start falling over.

We also got a pleasant surprise in the mail today from the state. It was the check for the cost share on the roof over the handling chute. I was surprised how easy the state made it. You have to submit detailed drawings with the application and of course you have to follow their specs but other than paperwork, all we had to submit with the documents was before and after pictures. We figured at a minimum they would come out and verify what they were helping with.

IMG_1353.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have found a farm around the corner from us, that sells what they grow....gonna go by there tomorrow to see how "proud" they are of it....:)

We keep telling ourselves that we could cut back on what we grow since we can buy it from the Amish so cheap. Then I start messing around the garden beds that were more rock than dirt 5 years ago that now will grow anything thanks to the sheep. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't mind growing some things, but to grow corn, peas, and beans ya need some room to make it worth while.....and with it just being us, the demands of volume isn't high....wanna see what kind of corn and price on a bushel....wouldn't mind some yellow squash either....:)....those tomatoes and peppers look really good....I'd be proud to can the "runts" if'n ya don't want them....;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fred, I think you'ld have trouble with corn unless you've hacked down a bunch of trees. Corn needs to be in a block for wind pollination. Beans and squash you could do easily.

We keep telling ourselves that we could cut back on what we grow since we can buy it from the Amish so cheap.
Not only yourselves, you've told US that was the plan. Too bad your garden is so fertile :lol:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have room on the old garden bed but the soil won't be built up enough for a long time and we are getting ready to fence it in and turn it into pasture. Besides, I can buy Peaches & Cream sweet corn from the Amish for 25 cents an ear so it's hard to make myself want to bother. We have all of the okra, melons, cucumber and several different kinds of squash in the raised beds and planted close so they keep the weeds down for us.

That reminds me - we have two squash plants producing a squash that I have no idea what it is. We treat it like any other squash and it's good but I think the seeds came as something else.

IMG_1352.JPG

Latest posts