Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our processor called this afternoon and gave us the live weights of the cows since that's how we are selling them. The black is 966 lbs and the other is 1170 lbs. They were a little over 1200 pounds total when we got them here.

They will be hung between 14 and 21 days (up to the butcher depending how they age).

We got all of the handling panels taken down and put back in place where they came from. Those friends are one of the families buying a half so we will give them a good discount for the equipment and the help.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got started early so we could go through and check out all of the sheep. The ram wasn't wanting to follow me so I let Pete (the wether in since he follows me around). The ram wasn't sure what the wether was and kept trying to decide if it was something he could breed but he did follow me in to the adjacent paddock. Maisy and Mel are back with the main herd and are happy.

We wormed those that needed it and we gave CDT shots to all of the lambs except a few of the youngest. We will be bringing them back in in a couple of weeks to do hooves and band the ram lambs. We wormed more than expected but overall they are getting back into decent condition.

Neither of our usual helpers haven't been available but we tried Jay's cousin this time and he fit right in and did good for us. He grew up on a farm and still helps work is Grandfathers cattle.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@B&B Happy goats - Barb I thought you would like these. I looked out the bedroom window and one of the lambs was standing on Mel's back eating hay. By the time I got the camera of course it had moved but I grabbed a shot of the dogs anyway. The dogs have a choice of shelters but they are out in the rain with the sheep.

Mel and Maisy with lambs 2 Mar 2020.JPG
Maisy with lambs in the hay 2 Mar 2020.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a great picture. ❤

Thanks, I was pleased with it. I didn't notice until I was looking at the picture there is one of the sheep with her front feet on Mel. She was a bottle lamb and has been with Mel since he got here so she would feel safe doing that. She is almost mature though and was 110 pounds the last time she got weighed. :)

Latest posts