Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Land here is 5-6,000 an acre in larger tracts.... 75acres and bigger.... 10-20,000 an acre for smaller parcels in some places. 2 acre minimum for any kind of building lots unless already grandfathered in. I had to have 2 acres with the house that they had to subdivide off the bigger place. Would have liked 5 but the Christmas tree farm is next door and they did not want to give up more. 3 would have been nicer than the 2. Oh well....
Price on the big farm that we rent is 600,000 for about 105 acres, barn, sheds.....no house, it is across the road..... 60 or so in cropable ground but no well ( it is on the house side), and needs some TLC because owners would not put any time, money, or effort into it since the husband died. Fences are needing replacing in several places, new culverts in the creek to be able to access lots on the other side as they are washed out quite bad....Barn needs some beam work....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't posted any lamb pictures for awhile but this picture is the last ram lamb left on our place. He is 10 weeks old and will be going to his new home soon so we left him on his dam. She is good condition and we still have time to flush before we start breeding for the next season.

Attachments

• 1848 ram lamb 140 15 Apr 2021.jpg
    1848 ram lamb 140 15 Apr 2021.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 140

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will be removing the last of the poly rope and replace it with electric netting so we can do better rotating the sheep and keep them where I put them now that they learned how easy it is to go through the rope.

The sheep are at the stage with their shedding that they are looking either slick or shaggy with hair hanging loose. They all have it figured out that if they stand close enough to me they will get it pulled or combed out. Cooper was looking like an alien until I was able to get most of the clumps of hair pulled off of him. He loves being brushed so I got him cleaned up. He loves being combed and will stand there with his eyes closed. I still don't trust him but I stay aware of where his head is pointing. It has been a couple of months now that he tried to butt me but I'm hoping the top of my boot landing on his nose is still in his memory.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was out feeding the dogs this afternoon and of course the ewes came up to see if there was any treats and if no treats, they would take some help getting rid of the loose hair. I was working on one that Maisy is really bonded to and I guess she thought I was hurting her because she kept taking her snout and moving my hand away from the ewe. I was curious and pulled some of the clumps from another ewe and she didn't react. I went back to working on the hair with the other (Ginger) and she went back to wanting me to stop it. I quit messing with the ewe and Maisy was back to normal. I quit trying to figure their thinking but do normally respond to what they want me to do/or not do :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm making a batch of Vietnamese Beef Pho for supper this afternoon. That soup has been my favorite for years and since the nearest Vietnamese restaurant is in Nashville, we learned how to make it the way it's supposed to taste. We had a nice little place south of us on the state line but they didn't make it. We made it a point to stop in every time we went by but evidently not enough people did that also.