Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you breed for annual lambing, you will be better able to schedule the surgery. You want to be off doing surgery and PT while the ewes are breeding, or after you have taken your lambs to auction. That will give you at least 5 months to recover before lambing season starts up again.

Like Farmerjan planned around haying season, you can plan around lambing season. It might put a crimp in your garden, but buying vegetables or growing less is easier than putting off a whole lamb crop.

Shoulder surgeries are extremely painful. A surgical nurse friend explained after my first shoulder surgery that it was because the closer to the spinal column and its collection of pain nerves, the more painful any surgery is. I know that my 2 shoulder surgeries and one lower back surgery were much more painful than my 2 wrist surgeries and 2 breast cancer surgeries.

She told me that the trick to faster healing is to try to avoid pain. Her trick was to take aspirin (not Tylenol) halfway between taking the pain pills. It keeps the pain edge low as the pain pills wear off. If you allow pain to take over, your body fights the pain and diverts your energy to that instead of to healing. It works. Most pain pills have acetaminophen in them so you can't take Tylenol, you need to use aspirin or ibuprofen.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Planning things are pretty simple and I'll probably do like I did the last time they operated on my shoulder. I didn't take any meds after the surgery since the pain was so much less than before I got operated on but they did not do a rebuild. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babs the bottle lamb is weaned now but she still hangs out with Maisy and comes into the shop when I'm down there feeding the dogs. Babs is like a lamb we had a few years ago that doesn't seem to know if she is a sheep or a dog and she will run with the dogs when they alert on something coming down the driveway.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babs the bottle lamb is weaned now but she still hangs out with Maisy and comes into the shop when I'm down there feeding the dogs. Babs is like a lamb we had a few years ago that doesn't seem to know if she is a sheep or a dog and she will run with the dogs when they alert on something coming down the driveway.
Just make sure she can't get out on the road and chase cars!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was in the teen's this morning but got up into the low 40's and clear with no wind for a change. Teresa spent most of the day getting things together so we can drop them off to the bookkeeper tomorrow for our taxes.