Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard it is extra label for sheep and here we can only get it from the vet (who recommended it here)
Well, there's no problem with vet recommended medication use.......it happens lots of times, and is often the 1st step toward any particular med being fully endorsed by FDA etc as treatment for a malady it may not have originally been developed for.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
sure glad your tests all came back ok. what a relief. wish I had a dollar for every scope I helped with while I worked in surgery. diprivan aka Michael Jackson juice is your friend for sure.
years ago when fairies and giants ruled the earth I worked on a cow dairy and it was a weekly thing to mix up their foot bath tub so they trudged thru it on their way out of the parlor. worked well, we never had a problem with feet. going to have to file the information about that drug, have the info but hope I never need it.

Shellymay

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is great news! Now you don't have to get rid of your pretty spotted ewe! I have read of the foot rot battles, now there is a shot and it is gone? What a Blessing!

@Shellymay in areas with foot rot problems, would you recommend giving each sheep a shot to keep it away? This could be a real game changer.

How do I say sometimes in comes down to money for some folks, ;) but truth is we each live in different states and year to year it changes and we may go through a very wet (flooding year) and then normal precipitation other years. I hope your sitting down for this IMHO foot rot is not kept in the soil on your farm and is not contagious, it is animals in very wet and muddy conditions and no relief from said conditions, once an animal has soft feet/hooves for so long (think of your own feet in a bath tub for hours) they become soft and all shriveled up right, the least little thing like tall grass (causing paper cuts) or rocks/sticks anything in between hooves easily irritates that now soft skin and once that happens bacterial is allowed in and one thing leads to another...now scald turns into rot.

Anyhow in 2015 we had so many lambs that year (we bred average of 150 ewes) so many lambs limping and went ahead and gave them all the shot, bottle of meds cost us $1500.00 to treat all, yes there was some left over and over a few years time if we had one or two sheep (adults) limping we gave them the shot.....to this day we have never had foot issue ever again, sooooooooo how can it be in the soil? how can it be contagious? sheep are still on the same properties while all this was going on.....

Another factor IMHO is timing for foot issues, for many who only grain sheep/animals during lambing season for milk production and are lambing this time of year during all the wet season, I believe animals who are being grained or given alfalfa hay (higher proteins) effects the growth of the hooves and causes faster growth of said hooves which in turn causes more mud to be caught up between longer faster growing hooves thus not being able to dry out faster....No I don't recommend you stop feeding your animals well while rearing babies to prevent it ;) Anyhow here in my area many have used this med and have eradicated hoof rot....

Now remember I am speaking about having appropriate amount of animals on your land, NOT over stocking in all above info, but if the sheep where completely healed within 24-48 hrs of receiving the shot and no reoccurrence how in the heck can they say it is in the soil? I am not a vet and everyone needs to work with their vet but as you can see Mike heard the news from his vet about a new med for sheep foot rot.....

Back to your question should a person do all their animals?, we did all the lambs because majority where limping, and when your talking about 300 lambs and having to work that many numbers and trying to keep track of who is who yes it made sense to do all due to numbers limping/labor/stress to lambs....doesn't matter how big or small your flock is, if over 50% have an issue I would do all, if one or two out of your whole (larger numbers of head) is only limping and has rot no I would just do those individuals...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't know you can rent a trailer at TSC. I have to find out if the TSC here does that. We need to look into renting one this summer to haul some hay. Can't afford to buy a trailer yet at this time.

Both of the TSC stores near us rent them. The store in Pulaski is first come first served but the store in Lewisburg knows us well enough that they will let us reserve it. We have a small trailer but it's about two feet short of being long enough to haul our Ranger on.

Price is decent. They rent either 4 or 8 hours. I don't know what the all day fee is but the 4 hour window is $16 plus tax if you aren't tax exempt.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing we have noted and it may just be a coincidence, we have only had this problem with our older sheep. Our vet also confirmed what @Shellymay said about the cause and that what my girls have is not from the soil.
It takes 2 to tango...
Most true foot rot is caused by 2 different bacteria working in conjunction with each other. Both are generally anaerobes. One is almost always present even in the gut of all healthy ruminants, one is not. Both have to be present for foot rot to form, but neither individually is the cause of foot rot. Together, they form a synergistic partnership to create an enzyme and it is the enzyme that causes the infection.

The bacteria that is almost always present in the gut is Fusobacterium necrophorum and because it is present in the gut, it is also present in the soil as it is expelled in feces.
In sheep and goats, the anaerobic partner to Fusobacterium necrophorum is Dichelobacter nodosus. When they get together, the enzyme is the result.
Labs confirming true footrot culture for Dichelobacter nodosus as it is not common to the soil.
(Cattle also get footrot with 2 bacteria but the partner to Fusobacterium necrophorum is a different bacteria-- Bacteroides melaninogenicus)

Footrot is so often associated with wet muddy conditions, but that isn't always the case. When I worked in W. Texas at a cattle and sheep ranch, they sometimes had to treat sheep for foot rot in some of the driest, rockiest terrain in the state. I had to treat 1 cow for footrot here, in the midst of 2011's drought.

@Shellymay in areas with foot rot problems, would you recommend giving each sheep a shot to keep it away? This could be a real game changer.

I didn't see this answered but I may have overlooked it. Use of antibiotics as a therapeutic is frowned upon nowadays, as it can result in drug resistant bacteria and therapeutic (or preventative) use is the primary reason for the VFD protocol that made so many OTC antibiotics into prescription drugs.
Tho Zactran is not approved for human use, that doesn't mean it never will be..or some version of it.
Fusobacterium necrophorum also causes chronic throat and sinus infections and a very nasty ailment called Lemierre's syndrome in humans.

Last edited: