Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom that is a cowlick but a couple of times we had one of the Katahdin/Dorper crosses show up with some horn.

@Baymule I have lost track until we finish up the tracking ledger tomorrow but we are between 34 - 36. We have been busy tracking past histories compared to current status to figure out who goes and who stays. We are probably within a week of being done for this season unless Max took another long smoke break.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maxwell and I have been working on our relationship. When we set up our handling area we did not take a relatively young ram into the equation. As expected he will come in when I put out feed but also to be expected, he tries to make sure he gets as much of the feed as he can. When he starts to be dominate on the ewes I show my dominance on him and run him out and wth any luck, I can continue to make sure he doesn't know that he out weighs me. (Ringo was so easy). I can only do that when there are no lambs are in the shelter since he can do some major damage to them. I mentioned before that I can't move him out until the cows go to the butcher since that paddock is right in the middle of where I need to send the ram (bad planning on my part). Pete (the wether) that will be keeping him company has turned into the sweetest young sheep that we have. He has been with Maisy since birth and is one of the two that thinks they are sheep LGDs so I'm curious to see how this works out. They even race with me when I'm going around the lane in our Polaris outside the paddocks that they are in.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another of my favorites just finished cleaning off her twin ewe lambs. This girl hasn't needed worming in over a year and has a tendency to stay fat even on hay only.

005 twin ewe lambs 17 Feb 2020.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel is doing good but he has had some skin issues for the last two weeks so we have had him in the kennel. I originally thought he had an ear infection but the vet seemed to think it might have been residual from the skunk encounter. We shaved his hair in that area and got rid of what infection was there but he said he wasn't sure what it was since there was no smell.

I have been going to see him several times a day and he doesn't appear to be stressed out at all. All of the inflammation has gone so hopefully tomorrow, he can come home. They consolidated two outside areas for him so he has his own little kingdom.

There was two more sets of twins born last night so we will go out and ear tag the ones that are really tame since there is too many of them to bring in the shelters. If we keep the same numbers going into next winter we will enclose the outside 10x32 area that is under the roof to be able to handle the numbers more safely.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With Sentry's surgery, we are keeping him in the house, in a dog crate. When he gives me hugs, he rubs off that fine Anatolian underfur on me and reminds me of Mel. Give Mel a hug from his Aunt Baymule and tell him I love him. Mel went on quite a journey to get to where he is now. He's been to/through more states than most people. And now he is home.

Latest posts