Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
They did have a new 2019 close out for about the same price range as the used trucks we were looking at and it followed us home.

Congratulations on your new truck! I know you will be happy with it for years (except maybe when time to fill up with gas! :)).

Running boards are a definite YES! Our son has a King Ranch diesel dually, the running boards are electric and come out when you open the door.

We have those kinds of running boards on our truck. They are really nice. Both of us are not tall (at least our legs are long enough to reach the ground ;)), so having them helps us get in and out of the truck. Plus, having the running boards retract helps with ground clearance.

Senile Texas Aggie

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had to harvest lettuce faster than we can eat it so the neighbors are happy. We are going to cook up some wilted lettuce for dinner tonight and that uses up quite a bit.

We are going to bring the adult ewes in to work on this week then put them in with the ram. Pete the wether has been keeping the ram company but he can be moved in with the ewe lambs till breeding season is over then Max will be looking for another home probably.

Princess my escape wizard ewe is being sold in the next week or two. We will separate here this week so we have time to do a fecal and have her ready for her new home. She is as tame as they get but it's just a matter of time before she teaches the other ewes to follow her lead getting out. She just sucks it up and drops down and quickly raises the hot poly rope up and comes right under. She has realized that she can be under before the rope pulses a time or two and just takes the shock.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sneaky Princess!! Haha, she would teach the other sheep to do the same thing. I hope her new owners appreciate her intelligence.

Have you a new ram picked out?

We haven't even started looking yet and since we only breed once a year, we have time. I'm enjoying a bit less work and also a bit more fishing. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, you use poly rope? Other than Princess, how does it work for you? Is it durable enough to be worth it?

We use the poly rope for the semi permanent interior paddocks and netting to further subdivide that. This ewe is the only sheep that has challenged it in three years of use but she was a bottle lamb that was raised with the LGD's so I think some of their smarts rubbed off on her. :)

It has worked great as long as I make sure to keep it hot and like mentioned I have had this in place for more than 3 years. I have had lambs go under it accidentally and then I have to go out and turn it off to move them back in but that has only happened twice. We now keep lambs in permanent fence until they get some size and then train them to it before moving them.

Edit to add: We even ran the two steers behind it and they never challenged after the first time they stuck their nose up to it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many of your original ewes do ya still have?....sure sorry to hear Max will be moving on.....we are gonna be getting our license this next week....so, totally understand the fishing desire..... :)

We still have 4 of the original 10 and they will retire here since they act more like house pets rather than sheep. Even Wild Thing wants petting now and no sign of wildness. :) What is nice is the other 6 are still going strong in their new homes and they still come running when I'm visiting. It has taken quite awhile but Max is actually approaching the point that he acts more like Ringo but I wouldn't trust him with young ones around. We had a couple of episodes where we had to discuss things but they worked out.

Latest posts