Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were headed to town yesterday and we saw that a neighbors Walker Hound was hung up in some electric netting around another neighbors pond to let their sheep graze the area. The netting was pretty much destroyed from the dog fighting to get loose and nobody was home. There was an open gate so we went back and turned off the power to the netting and closed the gate that opened out into the area. We called and let the owner that has the sheep to let them know their netting was destroyed (and how). He is about as layed back as you can get and we were pretty sure he wouldn't call the dogs owner so we called the dogs owner to let him know to check out his dog and told him his dog had destroyed the netting. Everyone here is pretty responsible so I'm betting everything gets worked out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y’all are pretty good neighbors yourselves. Many people would have driven past and not have done what y’all did.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go to bed so I'll put up one of my pictures that have no meaning but tasted good. :)

Beef from our steer from last year, Asparagus from this year and corn from Kroger. :)

Attachments

• Steak dinner 30 Apr 2021.JPG
    Steak dinner 30 Apr 2021.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 67

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked the sheep today and went ahead and pulled the lambs. We pulled fecals from 5 that aren't quite back to where they should be. The yearlings that will be bred this cycle are right at 120 pounds and their confirmation is great. All of the adults are in the 135-150 pound weight range.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It always happens for a few days but the lambs are so stressed out that they act like they have never seen a human. :) I went down to the stall and tied the gate open and put some feed out so they can make up for some of the grazing they did not do this afternoon. Surprisingly they came when I called so it shouldn't take but a couple of days to get them back to normal. I'll put Pete (the wether) in with them in a couple of days and he will lead them around.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are finally past our last frost date so we worked out biggest raised. I've been putting manure in another big bed about the same size that isn't framed in yet but it is one of the few spots in our garden area that doesn't have ledge rock. It has been warm enough the last couple of weeks that we have been able to put our vegetable starts outside. We get fried chicken take out from the grocery fairly often so that's what we use to start the plants and then transfer to celled trays. The Almanac shows tomorrow as being good for transplanting so that is what we will do.

Attachments

• Garden starts 2021 spring.JPG
    Garden starts 2021 spring.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts