Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems the ewes took a break getting into a cycle since no lambs for several days now. I'm going to move the ewes out in the field into a new paddock tomorrow since it has a lot of good grass. It is also the easiest to get lambs and dams to where I want them. We will have to start bringing in round bales in the next couple of weeks but it is later than it has been for a couple of years.

I need to get some new pictures of the lambs. Those in the field are growing great and the bottle lambs are doing even better. Little Bit loves getting body scratches and is an absolutely terrible candidate for an intact ram. :)

We have the trailer set up to load our #26 ewe in to get her C Section stitches removed tomorrow. She has always been an easy keeper and is enjoying the good life entirely too much but she has so much exposed skin that she is going to be stuck in the stall with the heat lamps for a while or as long as we are having these freezing temps.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keeping her in might not be a bad idea, but if she is healed, cut out the heat lamps and she will grow wool quicker. Really, her skin and body will react to the cold and it really will grow better. I have seen chicks grow feathers much faster when it is cold out... had some born at the wrong time of year to a hen that would steal away to a nest, and they got feathers in record time.

Latest posts